Senior Reporter, Absolute Return (HFM) - NY
Leading hedge fund media brand HFM is seeking a bright and ambitious journalist to cover performance and markets trends in the US industry for its Americas title, Absolute Return.
Working in our new midtown Manhattan office, the ideal candidate will have a keen news sense and desire to shed light on the biggest trades and market moves in the dynamic and fast-moving hedge fund industry.
We are looking for a bright and confident self-starter who keeps their ear to the ground by meeting contacts or working the phone rather than scrolling Twitter or waiting for press releases.
Ideally the successful candidate will also have a nose for numbers and be able to fashion stories from data in this complex but fascinating industry.
Applicants should have at least two years of journalism experience, preferably with business or finance publications, and display the hunger and drive required to be successful in this role.
This position would suit a candidate who wants a role that balances a data-driven component, with an analytical, journalistic element.
Absolute Return has reported on the ups and downs of US hedge funds since 2003, breaking stories and spotting trends that are often later picked up by mainstream outlets, and its widely-respected surveys include the biannual Billion Dollar Club ranking of hedge funds.
There is ample scope for career growth with Pageant Media, an energetic company which has seen continued growth in subscriptions to its hedge fund titles. The company recently moved into a new contemporary office in Madison Avenue, offering exceptional light and city views.
- Write daily news articles and regularly break off-diary stories, harvested from sources or data.
- Understand and explore the market shifts and key trades in various hedge fund strategies.
- Build and maintain a contact book of senior professionals in the US hedge fund industry.
- Use charts, graphics and other data visualisation techniques in stories.
- Moderate industry panel discussions where required and help colleagues on HFM's range of briefings, conferences and summits around the world.
- At least two years of journalism experience, preferably with another business or finance publication, or an exceptional academic background.
- Excellent reporting skills and ability to write engaging copy.
- Sharp analytical skills and meticulous attention to detail and accuracy.
- Intellectually curious and desire to dig beyond top-line information.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Well-organized, reliable and effective time management skills.
- Knowledge of hedge funds and asset management industry a strong plus.
How to apply:
Please send a short cover letter along with a resume and some clips by completing the application form below.