The Independent, Senior Sub-Editor
2 days left
- Full Time
Reports to: Group Production Editor
You will be able to:
- Work quickly and accurately on a range of stories – news, comment, features, business
- Spot and eradicate errors/typos and make improvements to copy
- Write good headlines and page furniture
- Be comfortable with digital working (prior knowledge is essential)
- Work to tight deadlines on daily edition
- Work within a team, adapting quickly to changes
- Deputise for the chief sub-editor on occasion
- The senior sub-editor must tidy up and polish stories on the website, check spelling and grammar, and ensure house style is followed and intros are tight and well-written.
- All sub-editors must enrich articles by ensuring there are links to related stories, ‘read more’ boxes, pictures and galleries. Ultimately, the aim is to keep the user on the site for longer.
- The senior sub-editor is part of the team creating the Independent Daily Edition mobile app. Articles (mainly but not exclusively from the website) will be prepared with appropriate style and furniture for the app. An eye for detail and presentation will be key to this part of the role.
- The senior sub-editor will on occasion deputise for the chief sub-editor, overseeing the edition on certain days (including some weekends); liaising with the app editor and other desks to maintain copy flow and ensure deadlines are met; revising pages, headlines and captions; and ensuring the edition is ready for sign-off. Ability to provide guidance to subs on style and other matters will be an advantage
Skills and experience:
- Good general knowledge of current affairs
- Flexibility, can-do attitude
- Willingness to learn
- Digital experience would be an advantage for this role, but not essential. There would be opportunities to write and contribute in other areas.
- Shift work including weekends. Extend vigilance across compliance and ethical status.
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focused way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
To apply, please complete the application form below to send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Hours: Your hours will be 40 hours per week.
ESI Media is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including great pension, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.
Apply for The Independent, Senior Sub-Editor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly