Managing Editor - P&C Specialist, Money-Media - NY
Money-Media, a fast-growing, entrepreneurial subsidiary of The Financial Times, is an online media firm focused on being the premier source of news and intelligence for specialized businesses.
Through our extensive suite of products, Money-Media delivers must-have content that helps people do their jobs better and supports the business IQ of hundreds of thousands of readers across the world.
Join us and find an inclusive and fast-paced environment with unique opportunities to support every step of your career. Learn more about Money-Media.
We are looking for a managing editor to lead a new subscription publication covering the property and casualty insurance industry.
P&C Specialist is a thrice-weekly publication that provides insurance companies with the news and intelligence they need to grow their businesses. It has received tremendous feedback and support from the industry in its initial phase and is off to a very strong start.
This is a terrific opportunity to lead a new publication and make your mark. Money-Media, with the backing of the Financial Times, has ambitious goals for this product and this market.
You will have the benefits of working on a start-up publication within a stable and successful company that has proven it knows how to create profitable subscription-based publications within financial services.
The managing editor is the editorial driver of P&C Specialist, overseeing all content development, including original news articles, trend reports, surveys and potentially video and webcasts.
The publication will deliver valuable original content to an audience of busy senior executives.
The managing editor is responsible for pushing through product improvements based on planned upgrades and ongoing market feedback.
We expect the managing editor to be engaged with the business side of the publication and an enthusiastic source of ideas and suggestions for growing the title’s reach and profitability.
Strong preference will be given to candidates with a financial industry editorial background. If you have a good understanding of the insurance market and have pre-existing relationships in that space, so much the better
What will I be responsible for?
- Oversee an associate editor and a reporter, plus freelancers
- Oversee all editorial development and processes for story generation, edit stories, write stories
- Occasionally write articles and create video content based on interviews
- Maintain the overall quality and timeliness of the content and meet the product’s editorial milestones for success
- Establish and maintain close relationships with insurance executives and their companies
- Travel to industry events and meet with prospects to stay on top of the latest industry trends and to solicit ongoing market feedback about the product
- Coordinate editorial with advertising and marketing activities
- Work with other departments to incorporate video, graphics, webcasts into our editorial coverage
- Hire, manage and motivate staff, ensure they are performing at a high standard, support training where necessary
- On occasion, moderate webcasts or panels at events run by Money-Media or the Financial Times’ events group. Share knowledge and expertise where necessary with events group. Represent P&C Specialist’s editorial team internally and externally
What experience/skills do I need to be successful in this role?
- The ideal candidate will have a strong desire to succeed and a proven track record of producing high-quality content.
- You are high energy, creativity, persistence, and resilience.
- Ability to demonstrate the flexibility and ownership necessary to manage a start-up product.
- Understanding the characteristics and values of our markets are very important.
- An ability to listen to the marketplace is critical.
- You will need to hire and motivate your team and keep them focused on the goals of the publication.
- At least seven years of business reporting and editing experience, including experience working on a daily or wire publication. Data journalism experience is a strong plus
- Experience managing a staff of reporters and helping them improve and develop.
- Demonstrated ability to write or produce content for a specific niche audience.
- Experience working a beat and knowing how to generate scoops, enterprise story ideas and other content that distinguishes a publication.
- Track record of continuous improvement and initiative and a creative approach to your work.
- Ability to recognize and respond to readers’ needs.
- Knowledge of the insurance market specifically or financial services generally a definite plus.
- A high personal standard of excellence and pride in the work you do.
- Curiosity and a desire to learn.
What’s in it for you? Culture & Benefits
As an employee, you can expect:
- Generous paid time off including vacation, personal days, sick days
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, and life & disability insurance for employees and their families
- Competitive 401k and company match, profit sharing, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and commuter benefits
- Paid parental leave (maternity & paternity)
- Flexible working
- Other great perks such as summer Friday’s, volunteer days and in-office events
- Employee-led networks which promote and celebrate diversity and inclusion in the workplace by connecting, engaging and empowering individuals across the organization
Here at the FT, we encourage you to bring your whole self to work. We know our most valuable resources are our people, we embrace the unique skills, experiences, and perspectives that each of our employees brings with them -- it’s what helps us build a great product and even better teams.
We welcome all members of the community to apply regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Learn more about our benefits and commitment to inclusion.
How can I apply?
Please complete the application form below to submit your resume, clip and a cover letter explaining why you'd be a good fit for the position.
Apply for Managing Editor - P&C Specialist, Money-Media - NY
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly