Hello! Fashion Monthly, Picture Editor
Hello! Fashion Monthly, the glossy fashion monthly title from the publishers of Hello! is looking for a Picture Editor.
The candidate should have a passion for fashion, lifestyle and beauty imagery and understanding of HFM’s style and vision.
HFM’s Picture Editor is responsible for all aspects of picture research for the magazine including photographic commissions, sourcing and booking locations, finding stylish, on-brand imagery for all features, managing the picture budget and ensuring the smooth running of the desk. They will work to our house style under the direction of the Art Director.
- Research and delivery of high quality pictures for the magazine.
- Commissioning premium photographers and videographers.
- Being responsible for shoot production of some cover, lifestyle and still life shoots.
- Develop and nurture relationships with premium photographers and picture agencies.
- Create a regular flow of pages to meet repro deadlines and work closely with each department to produce a top quality consumer magazine with “glossy” value.
- Work with the art director and rest of the other departments to ensure we have the best images appropriate for each feature.
- Stick to production deadlines to ensure smooth running of HFM.
- Work within HFM’s budget and manage the mark-up and monthly estimates.
- Compile picture credits for the Assistant editor (production)
- Keep up to date with the legal requirements of syndication and oversee photography contracts.
- Give input in brainstorms – ideas generation for photo shoots, layouts and ultimately be responsible for the high standard of visuals in HFM.
- Help with syndication enquiries from the HELLO! territories and compile an availabilities list each issue.
The Candidate Needs:
- Several years experience on a picture desk of a monthly or weekly style magazine ideally at a senior level
- Have a passion and eye for beautifully composed images
- To be a clear communicator and team player
- A strong creative portrait and lifestyle shoot portfolio
- To be a self starter who can manage their own work flow
- Ability to establish and maintain good relations with picture agencies and contributors
- Some experience in production
- Strong picture research skills and be brimming with ideas
- Proven experience in liaising with picture agencies to brief and research their libraries
- Strong negotiation skills
- To be resourceful
- Ideally a worldwide photographic contacts book
- To show a clear understanding of the HFM audience and our house style
- To be committed to creating and sourcing pictures to the highest standards from a cut out product shot to a celebrity portrait – every picture counts!
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a small, fast-paced team, producing creative work that is core to the success of this exciting title, part of the globally renowned media brand Hello!
The position is 4 days per week (flexible days). Salary to be discussed.
To apply, complete the application form below submitting your CV and a cover letter outlining why you’d like to take on this role, and why you’re a great fit for the job.