News Director, WTTW News - IL
WTTW News is the news arm of Chicago’s PBS station, WTTW.
Committed to producing and presenting trusted, unbiased, independent local journalism, WTTW News delivers content across media platforms so that we meet our audiences where they are – delivering news when, where and how they want to consume it.
We are committed to high quality news that reflects the diversity of our audiences across the entire Chicago region, with original reporting that tells stories people won’t find anywhere else.
Our flagship program Chicago Tonight is a leading source of local news and analysis on the most pressing topics affecting our city and region.
The News Director will oversee planning, production and presentation of news in line with the overall strategic plan of the WWCI organization.
He/she will report to the President and CEO, and supports our purpose – to enrich lives, engage communities and inspire exploration, and our mission – to produce and present trusted, best-in-class content that is fueled by a distinctly Chicago sensibility; we engage our audiences by entertaining, inspiring, educating and reflecting a diversity of perspectives.
The News Director has responsibility for leading planning, reporting, editing and production of news content across all platforms.
Responsible for upholding the highest journalistic/ethical standards, the News Director will also direct news staff to comply with these standards. He/she will place top-of-mind the obligations of public media news in service of the community.
- Member of direct reports team (to President and CEO) - management responsibilities for reporting on metrics and alignment with strategic plan
- Editorial Planning – directing compelling, effective, timely reporting adhering consistent with journalistic integrity; audience-focused on issues/topics of greatest interest to the community
- Production – overseeing all aspects of news production as it pertains to getting content on our platforms; in partnership with digital teams, producers, engineering, etc.
- Budgeting – administering and managing budget in line with overall organization’s parameters; partnering with finance to ensure planning and budget requirements are met
- Negotiations – managing communication with unions through appropriate channels; addressing contract needs associated with talent, production and engineering
- Partnerships – initiating and overseeing execution of strategic partnerships designed to strengthen quality of our news content and designed to build audience
- Alignment – ensuring cross-functional alignment across WWCI on content initiatives, community engagement and other projects as they relate to the strategic plan and company goals
- Liaison with other PBS stations’ news organizations – two-way sharing best practices and leveraging content partnerships where/when possible
- Extensive news editorial and newsroom management skills
- Broadcast, digital and print journalism experience and demonstrated experience leveraging a cross-platform approach
- Live TV production and day of experience
- Measurement focused to achieve stated goals in line with strategic plan
- Collaborative management style
- Effective interpersonal communication skills
- Deadline-driven orientation
- Understanding and belief in role of public media in the news landscape
- Demonstrated ability to get up to speed quickly on local and regional public affairs issues
- Ability to operate effectively in fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Demonstrated ability to run effective daily editorial meetings to determine news coverage
- Crisis management
- B.S. in journalism/communications; master’s degree preferred
Click 'APPLY' now.