Tech Communications Coordinator, Dow Jones - NY
Dow Jones is a thriving business with big ambitions and there's never been a better time to join us.
We have almost 5,000 people in 60 locations around the world, ranging from our largest offices in New York, London and Barcelona right through to teams on the ground wherever news is breaking.
We report on some of the most important events of our time with news that is trusted and respected via our flagship publications, The Wall Street Journal, Barron's and Marketwatch. The data used in our risk and compliance data business is used to tackle global issues such as human slavery and political corruption.
At 130 years old, we have an amazing legacy. But we're young at heart. We know the secret to our growth ambition is through our people, which is why we're investing in our employee communication team. Having recently hired a Senior Vice President of Employee Communication, we're now looking to add to our team.
We're looking for someone to join our communication function to provide external and internal communication support to our 600-strong global Tech team.
Working between the Comms and the Technology teams, you will be exposed to innovative tech, work in a fast-paced media environment and collaborate with smart, fun colleagues across the business.
You will report to our Vice President, Employee Communication who is responsible overall for our strategy and tech comms.
The bulk of your role will be to support the delivery of our tech communication strategy both within Dow Jones and to our external audiences.
This includes being responsible for:
- Supporting the Tech leadership team to create a roadmap of communication for global technical initiatives across Dow Jones.
- Managing our external Tech blog, editing and publishing posts, videos and podcasts.
- Helping the Tech team with their employee communication both within the tech function and when we need to communicate with all Dow Jones employees.
- Supporting open sourcing initiatives across engineering teams, engaging with the legal and communications teams.
- Promoting Dow Jones technologies and building brand awareness externally through facilitating conference attendance and presentations, as well as applying for awards and serving as the main contact for external engagement.
- Helping prep senior leaders for external speeches, panels and events.
- Championing Dow Jones Technology initiatives across various locations and teams by hosting hackathons, giving company-wide presentations and running knowledge sharing sessions.
To do this job, you'll need to be:
- Creative - we don't want run of the mill. We like our communication to be creative and fresh. You'll need to bring new ideas and be confident enough to speak up to try something new.
- A geek who gets comms - we know this mix doesn't sit naturally with everyone. You'll need to understand both internal and external comms and have the confidence to present, network and influence. But at the same time, you love tech and you know how to prep an introvert for a media interview.
- Not afraid to roll your sleeves up - while you'll be in regular contact with the tech leadership team and helping with strategy, you'll also be editing PowerPoint slides and resizing jpegs. We need someone who isn't precious and helps where help is needed.
- A networker and team player - we need someone in the know. Someone who will build internal and external contacts so we have access to the best opportunities to promote ourselves and collaborate.
- An excellent writer - Dow Jones owns The Wall Street Journal. Enough said about why you need to be able to hold your own on the writing front. We need accuracy and creativity.
- Organized - from organizing events, managing the communication calendar, overseeing projects and managing various stakeholders inside and outside the organisation, your job will require exceptional organization skills and attention to detail.
- A self-starter - you'll have the support of your colleagues in tech and comms but ultimately it will be up to you to shape your role and deliver.
- Culturally aware and inclusive - we're a global team so we're looking for someone who is culturally sensitive and can engage with people from multiple countries, supporting our goal of a diverse and inclusive team.
Qualifications and experience:
As part of the recruitment process, you'll need to be able to demonstrate your skills and experience in everything we've mentioned, you'll have a minimum of five years' experience working in communication, be tech savvy and have experience of working with engineers and product managers.
You'll ideally have a degree in Communication and / or Technology.
If successful, you'll join our team of excellent communicators so there'll be plenty of opportunity to learn and people to draw on for help.
Click 'APPLY' now.
Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets.
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process.
If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events.
Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally.
It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.
Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).