Digital Director - News, Reuters - NY
Reuters, the news and media division of Thomson Reuters, is the world’s largest international multimedia news provider reaching more than one billion people every day.
Reuters provides trusted business, financial, national and international news to professionals via Refintiv’s Eikon desktops, the world's media organizations and directly to consumers at Reuters.com and Reuters TV.
Reuters is seeking a Digital Director to lead the development of our digital portfolio across all platforms.
The ideal candidate has significant news leadership experience in a digital environment and expert in using digital tools and data to deliver transformational change.
They will have top-notch news judgment, expert on innovative ways of digital storytelling and the ability to lead editors through a steady stream of breaking news from around the world.
They will focus on producing a news offering that meets the needs of our evolving consumer/prosumer audience using data and audience analytics to help shape editorial direction.
- Set the long term editorial direction for Reuters digital offerings with specific focus on developing content for prosumer audiences across our websites, apps, mobile and social platforms
- Work closely with the Managing Director for Consumer to ensure that the editorial strategy is aligned to the long-term business strategy and positioning of our digital products
- Responsible for implementing an audience engagement strategy using digital tools and data
- Work closely with the business development, product, technology and sales teams to deliver strong customer experiences and business results
- Develop new ways of storytelling to meet prosumer client needs
- Lead, motivate, inspire and manage the editorial team
- Create a social strategy that maximises the visibility of Reuters content on various social media channels and distribution vehicles beyond Reuters.com platforms.
- Collaborate with other senior editorial leaders to ensure digital customer needs are met
- Ensure all content that is produced adheres to the Reuters Trust Principles of fair, objective coverage of the news
- A key voice in product initiatives for digital platforms and editorial tools, including social, mobile, video and audio.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Substantial experience as a senior news leader, delivering innovative digital news offerings
- Track record of delivering transformational change in a newsroom environment and an advocate for digital storytelling in the newsroom
- Wide-ranging knowledge of international affairs and business news with an understanding of what kinds of stories appeal to both general consumers and prosumers
- Track record of successfully generating and commissioning original digital journalism using new story-telling techniques with particular focus on video and mobile
- Expert at using analytical tools to drive an audience engagement strategy and support editorial decision making
- Experience of delivering news to multiple subscriber verticals
- Excellent writing and editing skills, able to meet the high standards set by Reuters but with an eye toward maximum impact online
- Exemplary news judgment and ability to take editorial decisions quickly and independently
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, able to establish rapport with key senior stakeholders within Reuters
- A comprehensive understanding of current markets, trends and issues within the media industry
- An expert in digital journalism, recognised in the industry and able to raise the profile of Reuters digital news offerings
Please note, the Hiring Manager for this role is to be confirmed.
Click 'APPLY' now.
Please note, the opening date for applications is Thursday June 6 and the closing date is Wednesday June 19 at 11:59pm (UK Time).
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences.
With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law.
Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us - click 'APPLY'.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.