Latin America Reporter, Energy Intelligence - NY / TX / DC
Reporting to: Local Bureau Chief
Energy Intelligence is an independent provider of energy and geopolitical insights, analysis, data, and research. The company’s reputation has been built on uncompromised independent analysis from access to primary sources of information and data.
With editorial coverage in 15 focused daily and weekly publications and nearly 60 years of archives, our award-winning Information Services team delivers high-quality news and analysis covering the most important developments in the energy industry.
The role is for a reporter based in any of our US bureaus – New York, Houston or Washington DC -- and involves producing original news and analysis on the Latin American energy sector and related economic and political developments for a range of Energy Intelligence publications, including Oil Daily, Energy Compass, Petroleum Intelligence Weekly, World Gas Intelligence and EI Finance.
We are looking for a resourceful and energetic reporter with some experience of covering finance, politics and/or energy.
The successful candidate will have good Portuguese and Spanish language skills, a clear and concise writing style (in English), and strong critical and analytical capabilities.
He or she should also be able to work independently with little supervision, and to find and develop original news and feature story ideas that will help differentiate Energy Intelligence from its competitors.
- Work as part of our two-person US-based team covering the Latin American energy sector, with a focus on the region’s major oil and gas producers (e.g. Venezuela, Mexico, Brazil), and as well as emerging new areas of interest for the industry.
- Provide regular news-driven stories for Oil Daily, and longer features identifying and analysing trends in Latin American energy, with respect to policy, investment, geopolitical risk, oil and gas operations, trade dynamics and green energy, for various of our weekly publications, including Petroleum Intelligence Weekly, Energy Compass, World Gas Intelligence and EI Finance.
- Attend weekly editorial planning meetings to coordinate coverage with editors and reporters in other bureaus.
- Undertake travel to Latin America to attend conference and meet and cultivate sources, as well as attending similar relevant events within the US, in support of our coverage
Skills / Experience:
- Track record in financial, political or energy journalism
- Clear and concise writing style
- Good Spanish and/or Portuguese language skills (spoken and written)
- Strong critical and analytical skills
- Tenacity and resourcefulness – particularly important when covering a region from afar, when regular contact with sources is limited
- Ability to develop original story and analytical ideas and see angles our competitors do not
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Good interpersonal and communications skills to facilitate cooperation with colleagues in other bureaus
- Good presentational skills to support engagement with clients
To apply, please send a cover letter by completing the application form below.
Energy Intelligence is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Energy Intelligence will not discharge or in any manner discriminate against applicants or employees because they have enquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another applicant or employee. Nothing in this job posting should be construed as on offer or guarantee of employment.