Editor - Emerging Processes, The Wall Street Journal - NY
The Wall Street Journal is expanding its use of artificial intelligence and automation technologies to optimize the editorial process across the newsroom.
This is a leadership position that requires outstanding journalistic knowledge and a track record in editorial innovation.
The Editor for Emerging Processes will be responsible for working cross functionally to identify new process implementation opportunities to be scaled across areas of coverage.
This exciting new position is both strategic and operational in nature. It requires a background in editorial planning as well as the ability to coordinate technical implementation with automation editors.
We are looking for a seasoned expert who will be able to operate at a high level, but also able to think through details.
The editor will have a strong understanding of new developments in machine learning, natural language, automation and other relevant newsroom technologies. The editor must also have a long, accomplished record as a hands-on editor of business stories.
The editor will be an important part of the broader Strategy unit, which is an incubator for new technologies, audience growth, community and news innovation.
The team includes half a dozen new major initiatives that will be led by a full range of journalistic talent -- writers, video journalists, graphics designers, editors, product managers, engineers, designers, data scientists, artificial intelligence experts and more -- in a lively, collaborative project to discover new offerings of journalistic value.
The editor will both partner with others within Strategy and also with coverage chiefs, reporters and editors across the newsroom. It is a job that will have many projects over time and be instrumental in strategic change in the newsroom.
Tasks / Responsibilities:
- Identify existing processes and content that can be improved through the use of emerging technologies. Reframe editorial challenges into automation tasks.
- Superb journalistic judgment, understanding of editorial workflows, expertise in real-time financial data and experience working alongside journalists as well as engineers.
- Partner with stakeholders from around the organization to implement and disseminate automation best practices, while establishing standards that emphasize methodological transparency.
- Preserve and uphold the Journal's ethical standards in automation processes.
- Implement auditing and quality assurance practices.
- Help create a program to educate newsroom stakeholders about data-driven news creation and process transformation.
- Collaborate with R&D Chief and other AI practitioners at the company to identify and manage technical partnerships with academic institutions and technology companies to launch new efforts.
- Communicate results and impact to newsroom senior editors and the rest of the organization.
- Work closely with R&D team; Product, Design and Engineering; as well as Coverage Chiefs.
Key Attributes / Knowledge / Experience:
- Extensive experience playing a bridging role between journalists, data scientists and engineers.
- Experience in a large newsroom environment and track record of successfully implementing new editorial processes.
- Excellent news judgment and strong editing skills.
- Knowledge of natural language generation and template writing.
- Superb data skills, process planning, documentation and evaluation.
- Experience with project management and vendor relationship management.
- Excellent communication, writing and training skills.
Click 'Apply' now.
Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets.
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process.
If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video.
Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 36 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism.
The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).