Senior Designer, WSJ. Magazine - NY
WSJ. Magazine is looking for a senior designer with strong editorial layout and type design skills to join our team.
- 2+ years graphic design experience, editorial experience preferred
- Strong editorial layout and type skills
- Complete proficiency with the full Adobe Creative Suite
- Working knowledge of K4 a plus
- Ability to multitask (working on multiple layouts at a time) and working at a quick pace is a must.
- Communicate with photo department and editors to procure relevant assets for stories.
- Design layouts for all sections of print magazine and apply revisions relayed from AD as needed.
- Finalize display type for Features with Art Director and Design Director
- Design monthly magazine teasers for newspaper each month (Skybox + Ear)
- Design iPad covers each month (horizontal & vertical)
- Design / Update deks for editorial use
- Conceptualize and assign illustration as needed
- Prepare and send high-res requests to photographers when layouts are approved or image selects have been finalized
- Distill retouching notes for photographers as needed
- Keep track of production calendar / make sure layouts are designed + sent for approval in a timely manner
- Update lineups when images have been ordered and layouts are approved
- Print and trim layouts for the editor-in-chief and art room walls (update when needed - especially before team meetings)
- Create a PDF (or physical book) of the full issue each month for EIC of newspaper to review
- Handle invoice submissions process for all illustrators
- Organize / set up InDesign files in k4 for each issue according to lineup
- Set up server folders for each issue
- Update EIC's mini cover sheet each month
- A clear and likely internal candidate has already been identified.
Click 'Apply' now.
Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets.
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process.
If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video.
Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 36 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism.
The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).