Experienced Digital Copy Editors, South China Morning Post - Hong Kong
The SCMP’s Hong Kong, Business, and Political Economy teams are expanding our global reach.
As part of this transformation, we are seeking talented, experienced and passionate copy editors with both online and print skills. Also required, are those with news, business, economic, politics, and diplomatic backgrounds.
- Editing, fact-checking, rewriting and improving copy with care and sensitivity and, of course, ensuring copy is free from errors
- Crafting top quality Search Engine Optimised and print headlines, sub-heads and picture and graphics captions
- Experience creating or commissioning digital assets to add value to articles and boost engagement
- Ensuring all stories have accurate and eye-catching visual elements, content is distributed and consumed on different devices and platforms (mobile, social media, news aggregators)
- Keen ability to get to the heart of a story quickly and clearly, highlighting the stakes for a global audience
- Minimum 4 years of experience in a real-time online news operation, wire service or a newspaper is essential. Newcomers to the industry will not be considered
- Capable of turning around raw copy quickly and the patience to work constructively with contributors where English may not be the first language
- Awareness of media law and legal dangers, and of social media as a news dissemination tool. Audience-focused with an excellent understanding of international markets
- Strong familiarity with the China/HK context of news, economic, political, diplomatic and business/finance
- Good at business and data-based reporting, including the ability to read financial statements, stock exchange filings, shareholders' notes, stock prices, analysts' reports, and rating statements
- Ability to work closely with multimedia and video teams; ability to edit and adapt copy to suit various products and platforms
- Can-do attitude with excellent English subbing skills and zero tolerance for grammatical errors, spelling and improper story structure
- Solid news judgment and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely. Chinese-language skills an advantage
Work location will be at Causeway Bay office, Hong Kong.
Click 'Apply' now.
Our Privacy Notice aims to comply with all relevant data privacy and protection laws. You should read the Privacy Notice in full at corp.scmp.com/privacy-policy.
You may consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us within 6 weeks.