Experienced Copy Editor - Technology Desk, South China Morning Post - Hong Kong
The South China Morning Post is seeking an experienced copy editor for the Technology desk to work with a team of reporters covering the intersection of technology and China’s rise. The coverage focuses on technology policy, Big Tech, start-ups, tech culture and venture capital.
- Editing, checking facts, rewriting and improving copy with care and sensitivity and ensuring copy is error-free
- Crafting top-notch SEO and print headlines, standfirsts and captions
- Ensuring all stories have the appropriate, accurate and eye-catching visual elements
- Using analytical tools to make sure the right stories are delivered in a timely way
- Curating skills to help manage homepages
- Minimum 15 years of journalism experience, with 5 years in editing both breaking news and longer-form features on a major beat is a must
- Good communication skills and have thrived in major global newsrooms
- Tech experience preferred, but those with experience handling a major beat in government/politics, business and finance will be considered
- Capable of turning around raw copy fast when needed and the patience to work constructively with contributors for whom English may not be a first language
- Awareness of media law and legal dangers in copy, and of social media as a news dissemination tool
- Can-do attitude with top-notch English subbing skills and zero tolerance for errors in grammar, spelling and content
- Solid news judgment; Chinese-language skills an advantage
Work location will be at Causeway Bay office.
Click 'Apply' now.
Our Privacy Notice aims to comply with all relevant data privacy and protection laws. You should read the Privacy Notice in full at corp.scmp.com/privacy-policy/.
You may consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us within 6 weeks.