Avaaz, Media Director - Anti-Disinformation Team
4 days left
- Full Time
Period: 5 months (Jan-May 2019)
Ahead of the EU elections, Avaaz is launching an unprecedented anti-disinformation project, to protect Europe’s democracies from the proliferation of fake news.
After a pilot project in Brazil, which saw Avaaz take down a huge Facebook disinformation network in the country, we plan to scale our efforts on the European continent, launching a 27-country operation powered by big data, investigative journalism, and the strength of our network of 20 million members in the EU.
The aim is to identify and debunk fake news, take down the biggest disinformation networks, bots and troll armies,; bring to justice the criminal networks behind them; and create viral content and factual corrections to reach those who have been exposed.
As the Media Director you will be responsible for managing the Anti-Disinfo media team in order to expose, through the media, the main EU disinformation operations. You will be in charge of setting up a network of media collaborations with elite media outlets across the EU.
This is an exciting leadership position in one of the most innovative and ambitious public organisations in the world today. It offers a unique platform from which to develop and pursue large-scale social change efforts.
- Setting up and managing the EU Anti-Disinfo Media team, which will include media staff from several EU countries and operate in multiple languages;
- Developing and delivering extraordinary media strategies to expose disinformation operations and pressure authorities and platforms to act;
- Establishing and managing a network of media collaborations with EU media outlets, which will include regular columns and multi-country coordinated releases;
- Writing op-eds and media articles to be published in top level media outlets;
- Producing media material including press releases and organize press conferences to announce the biggest findings of the Anti-Disinfo Squad;
- Producing regular briefings for journalists on the state of fake-news and disinformation operations in the EU.
This is a demanding role that requires remarkable talent in a wide range of areas.
The ideal candidate will have a good cross-section of the following qualifications:
- A passion for media-led impact and facts -- we are looking for someone who is hungry for tackling disinformation.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strong media strategies for campaign impact and brand growth.
- Strong strategic, creative, and innovative thinking.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Passion and commitment to global justice, citizen empowerment and social change.
- High professionalism, self-motivation, efficiency and results-oriented delivery on short timelines.
- Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative team culture and a hierarchical team structure.
- Strong project and staff management skills.
- Strong network in and knowledge of media landscape in multiple EU countries.
- Multi-year experience with working in newsrooms and managing media teams is a strong additional asset.
- Passion for tech and a deep understanding of social media is a strong additional asset.
We hope for a blend of these criteria, but will consider qualified candidates who may not meet all of them.
Fluency in English is a requirement. Fluency in one of the following EU languages is a strong asset: Italian, Spanish, French, German.
This position reports to an Avaaz staffer.
Click 'Apply' now.