US Correspondent, South China Morning Post - DC
- To produce original news reports and feature stories that help readers worldwide understand all aspects of the US-China relationship and other important relationships Washington has in East Asia
- Work with a small team of other US correspondents and US editors to identify and develop the best possible content
- Keep the US bureau chief informed of stories in development
- Keep up to date with the ideas guiding the US-China relationship and work with US news editors to translate this knowledge for a savvy audience that ranges from the general news consumer to connected Washington policymakers
- Develop and maintain contacts among Washington policymakers and foreign affairs specialists, and through them develop exclusive and original material
- Collaboration with other correspondents including US reporting team as well as colleagues in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan and Singapore
- At least seven years of experience covering breaking news and writing features
- Demonstrated ability to produce sustained, authoritative coverage of an issue of interest to the South China Morning Post’s audience
- Ability to work in a fast-moving news environment, preferably for an established publication available in print and online
- Have a comprehensive understanding of China’s diplomatic strategy and thinking towards the US
- Have good grasp of major political and economic trends that are shaping China-US relations. The candidate needs to have a holistic view and should not narrowly focus on one or two areas
- Wide range of contacts in diplomacy and think tank circles
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the political and economic structures of the Chinese and US governments
- Strong understanding of international diplomacy and alliances, and knowledge of the history of modern China
- The Correspondent will be based in Washington D.C.
Click 'Apply' now.
Our Privacy Notice aims to comply with all relevant data privacy and protection laws. You should read the Privacy Notice in full at corp.scmp.com/privacy-policy/.
You may consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us within 6 weeks.