Latin America Reporter, Energy Intelligence - NY / TX / DC
REPORTS TO: Local Bureau Chief
Energy Intelligence (EI) is the leading independent provider of integrated intelligence -- analysis, research and data -- to the energy sector.
With editorial coverage in 15 focused daily and weekly publications and nearly 60 years of archives, our award-winning editorial team delivers high-quality news and analysis covering the most important developments in the energy industry.
Our research and advisory (R&A) service provides clients with guidance to improve their decisions, identify opportunities and mitigate risk. And our data analytics provide trusted, unique and differentiated data to support our clients’ analysis and decision-making.
The vacancy is for a reporter based in any of our US bureaus – New York, Houston or Washington DC -- and involves producing original news and analysis on the Latin American energy sector and related economic and political developments for a range of Energy Intelligence publications, including Oil Daily, Energy Compass, Petroleum Intelligence Weekly, World Gas Intelligence and EI Finance.
We are looking for a resourceful and energetic reporter with some experience of covering finance, politics and/or energy.
The successful candidate will have good Portuguese and Spanish language skills, a clear and concise writing style (in English), and strong critical and analytical capabilities.
He or she should also be able to work independently with little supervision, and to find and develop original news and feature story ideas that will help differentiate Energy Intelligence from its competitors.
- Work as part of our two-person US-based team covering the Latin American energy sector, with a focus on the region’s major oil and gas producers (e.g. Venezuela, Mexico, Brazil), and as well as emerging new areas of interest for the industry.
- Provide regular news-driven stories for Oil Daily, and longer features identifying and analysing trends in Latin American energy, with respect to policy, investment, geopolitical risk, oil and gas operations, trade dynamics and green energy, for various of our weekly publications, including Petroleum Intelligence Weekly, Energy Compass, World Gas Intelligence and EI Finance.
- Attend weekly editorial planning meetings to coordinate coverage with editors and reporters in other bureaus.
- Undertake travel to Latin America to attend conference and meet and cultivate sources, as well as attending similar relevant events within the US, in support of our coverage.
- Support Energy Intelligence’s wider commercial efforts in whatever way editorial management consider appropriate, e.g. through cooperation with sales team on participation in client meetings, other forms of client engagement.
You will also be required to carry out any other duties which may reasonably be required of you.
SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
- Track record in financial, political or energy journalism
- Clear and concise writing style
- Good Spanish and/or Portuguese language skills (spoken and written)
- Strong critical and analytical skills
- Tenacity and resourcefulness – particularly important when covering a region from afar, when regular contact with sources is limited
- Ability to develop original story and analytical ideas and see angles our competitors don’t
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Good interpersonal and communications skills to facilitate cooperation with colleagues in other bureaus
- Good presentational skills to support engagement with clients
This job description is not exhaustive and may be updated to reflect relevant changes in line with business requirements.
Apply by completing the application form below.