Assistant Social Media & Off-Platform Editor, The Wall Street Journal Opinion - NY
The Assistant Social Media & Off-Platform Editor ensures The Wall Street Journal Opinion section's social and off-platform content, every hour of the day, is giving our audience the best possible experience.
He or she is uniquely focused on growing that audience by using partnerships and organic measures to drive quality traffic. He or she carries out and helps gauge success of the coverage developed by Opinion writers and editors and the broad strategies developed by the Associate Editor for Digital Platforms and Audience Development.
Tasks / Responsibilities
- Plan and execute the day's social media promotion based on insights about the target audience for each piece.
- When necessary, tailor WSJ story packages for highest off-platform impact, including adjusting headline style and length, graphic sizing and legibility, photo crops, hyperlinks, etc., based on the information and suggestions provided by editors and industry best practice
- Work with editors and writers on package planning as needed to help them understand off-platform imperatives.
- Evaluate and implement paid promotion tactics, measure performance and refine tactics.
- Measure performance of all WSJ Opinion social media activities, change story components to optimize performance. Feed learnings back to editors and production team.
- Plan and implement re-surfacing of social media posts and A/B and multivariate testing where possible or necessary. Feed learnings back to editors.
- Create regular performance reports with lessons learned and coach writers and editors in off-platform audience growth and optimization tactics.
- Work with Membership group's audience development team on social media optimization tactics.
- Regularly review and optimize the off-platform/social strategies with the Editor for Digital Content Strategy and the Digital News Editor.
- Work with the Associate Editor for Digital Platforms and Audience Development to identify trends and opportunities for off-platform expansion or growth. Test theories, working with partners in the newsroom and/or commercial teams when necessary, and implement successful ones.
Key Attributes / Knowledge / Experience
- Deeply customer and market driven
- Ideally has 2-4 years' experience on a social media team for a news organization, or a successful online retailer or e-commerce company with accompanying background in and understanding of news-industry imperatives through professional experience, as an undergraduate and/or through internships.
- Numbers-driven with a keen attention to detail, particularly around data validation, reporting and stakeholder communication.
- Excellent writing skills - all copy should be free of errors and reflect sound editorial judgment.
- Deep understanding of referral channels such as search engines, social media, direct, alerts and emails.
- Proficient in SEO and audience analytical tools, e.g. Omniture/Adobe Analytics, Parse.ly at http://parse.ly/ , SQL/Google BigQuery, Report Builder, Facebook Insight, Twitter and LinkedIn Analytics, Google Analytics
- Proficient in social media management tools such as Social Flow.
- Experience with data extraction, reporting tools.
- Proven ability to train and communicate knowledge of social media publication, SEO and simple analytics to other stakeholders clearly.
- Data-visualization knowledge and talent.
Position in hierarchy / reporting lines
- Reporting to: Associate Editor for Digital Platforms and Audience Development
Click 'Apply' now.
Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets.
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events.
Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.
Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).