Video Reporter / Editor, The Real Deal - NY
The Real Deal is looking for a talented Video Reporter / Editor for position based out of our Manhattan office.
We are looking for a skilled video journalist with a background in business news to elevate our visual storytelling on both our website and various social media platforms.
In this role, you'll craft engaging video pieces that live across our various social and web platforms. Media management and post production will be part of your day-to-day, while you will also assist with lighting and audio on shoots in studio and on location. Knowledge of Premiere and After Effects is a must.
Ideal candidates will have experience working on social videos at a digital media company, preferably in a hard news environment. The video journalist will be responsible for pitching ideas, finding and interviewing sources, and collaborating with our team of reporters and editors. If you’re highly organized, understand how to create impactful video content, and storytelling is in your DNA, this role is for you.
This is the biggest and most dynamic real estate market in the world, with a rich cast of characters that are great fodder for storytelling. The ideal candidate will have an interest in covering money and power and a keen interest in learning about how the industry brings together elements of politics, business, law, and urban planning.
With over 1 million unique visits a month, TheRealDeal.com is the go-to news source for the city’s top real estate, finance, architecture and investment professionals.
Our award-winning coverage includes breaking news, investigative stories, market reports and longform narrative profiles. Our work is regularly cited by the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, NBC, CNN and a host of business publications.
To learn more about us, visit:
- Identify and pitch stories that would work well as videos
- Source, set-up, conduct and film interviews with industry figures
- Pre-production: transcribing, script writing, storyboarding
- Production: assist with lighting, audio, camera operation, setup and teardown on shoot days
- Post production: video editing, photo editing, accruing and organizing assets
- Collaborate with video team colleagues, reporters and editors to ensure content is on brand
- Create fun, dynamic videos (social videos, short docs, explainers, instagram videos, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree (related to art, photography, film, media, journalism)
- 2-4 years experience producing and editing shareable videos for the web
- Background in hard news/business journalism is preferred
- Expert knowledge of Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Photoshop, with keen understanding of media management, video codecs, etc.
- Expert knowledge of DSLR and video lighting (interviews and on location)
- Highly creative, natural storyteller, with a portfolio that demonstrates your style
- Extremely organized when it comes to file structures, naming, communication
- Deadline-oriented and comfortable changing direction based on feedback
Does this sound like you? Please send samples of your work by completing the application form below.