US Culture Writer, The Independent - NY
The Independent is hiring a US Culture Writer.
The successful candidate will live and breathe entertainment – in particular TV and movies – and have the ability to drive the culture news agenda by securing exclusive interviews, immersing themselves in fan culture, spotting lines and trends that everyone else has missed, as well as coming up with Independent takes on the big stories of the day.
There’ll be some opportunities for longer-form journalism, but this is primarily an entertainment news role. The position generally involves weekday office hours, but flexibility is expected as weeknight and weekend work is needed for events like awards shows.
- At least two years of working in a culture/entertainment role either online or in print
- Proven track record for writing headlines and selecting images
- A strong understanding of what makes a great culture story
- Understanding of all digital platforms and how to commission for each
- Commission, edit and prioritise stories
- Write engaging headlines and page furniture
- Be clear, organised and communicative with the wider team
- Make sure all essential stories are covered in the most engaging way possible
- Be mindful of the ethos of the Independent and cover stories accordingly
Skills and experience
- Clear communication style
- Team player
- Ability to inspire a team and develop team-members’ skills and careers in order to collectively achieve business goals
- Understanding of SEO, social media and digital journalism
- Experience using a CMS
- Ability to manage a heavy workload and prioritise accordingly
- Have the confidence to make big decisions, but also know when to raise the flag with the senior editorial team
- Ability to use tools such as liveblogs and break stories quickly
- Know who to contact and in what in order in the event of breaking news
- The ability to remain calm in pressured situations
- Strong background as a journalist on a comparative title
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focussed way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
To apply, complete the application form below with two off-diary story ideas, a couple of sentences on what makes you the right fit for the role, plus your resume and salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.