Asia Correspondent, South China Morning Post - Hong Kong
The South China Morning Post is hiring for our Asia Desk to expand our coverage of diplomacy, security, politics, economics and business across the region.
We aim to shine a spotlight on the tensions and opportunities related to China’s growing power and influence in the Asia region. As part of this transformation, we are seeking an Asia Correspondent with extensive reporting experience writing all genres of stories, from breaking news to exclusives and interviews, analyses and long reads.
The successful candidate will join a rapidly expanding team reporting on stories across Asia. The content will feature in This Week in Asia, our Sunday print magazine, and be published for our rapidly growing digital readership on SCMP.com.
- Report and write stories in all formats from breaking and spot news to exclusive stories and interviews, analyses and long-reads
- Accuracy is key. The correspondent will check facts and deliver clean, error-free content on deadline
- The correspondent will maintain and grow a network of contacts and sources around the Asia region, from officials to academics, business leaders and members of the public
- The correspondent will maintain a WIP list and work closely with editors to deliver a steady flow of stories on their beat
- Report on Asia regional issues ranging from diplomatic and military affairs to regional security and political risk. Travel will be expected
- The reporter will write with relevant context in order to make their stories relevant to a global audience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a real-time online news operation, a wire service or a newspaper is essential
- Previous experience reporting in Asia regional economics, politics, and/or diplomatic fields required
- Experience reporting from an Asian capital outside Greater China is essential
- An all rounder who can dive into politics/diplomacy one day, turn to business and tech the next, and be keenly aware societal trends in various Asian communities
- Awareness of media law and legal dangers in copy
- Ability to make good use of social media as a news dissemination tool
- Strong familiarity with the China/Asia context
- Solid news judgment and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely
Work location will be at Causeway Bay office.
Apply by completing the application form below.
Our Privacy Notice aims to comply with all relevant data privacy and protection laws. You should read the Privacy Notice in full at corp.scmp.com/privacy-policy/.
You may consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us within 6 weeks.