Newsweek is seeking a full-time Technology Reporter to join our London team.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a keen understanding of how technology intersects with society, finding the tech angle in news, current affairs and social trends. They will have a skillful approach to explaining technical concepts to a diverse audience and will write engaging stories for an American audience.
The Technology Reporter will be able to research, source, pitch, and write several stories each day, including breaking news, original news and features, interviews, and exclusives. They will obtain source and expert comments, and use authoritative primary sources. They will produce vibrant, concise and clean copy to deadline.
The successful candidate will have several years of experience in a similar reporting role at a reputable organization. They will have a strong understanding of digital journalism and the needs of a fast-paced newsroom. They will have a skillful approach to writing engaging stories. They will be adept at monitoring social media, Google Trends and other news-gathering tools to find and identify stories and topics of interest to a U.S. audience.
Topics expected to be covered include, but are not limited to: Consumer, education, health and environment tech; artificial intelligence; data privacy; governance and policy; hardware and software innovations; cybersecurity; industry trends and emerging technologies.
The candidate will be responsible for ensuring high-quality coverage that is accurate, fair, and conforms to accepted standards of journalism.
Place of Work: Our office is based in London but you will have the ability to work from home anywhere in the UK.
- Research, source, pitch, and write several stories each day.
- Research and write original features.
- Scour social media and other news gathering tools to find stories and emerging trends.
- Check facts and sources and ensure content is of the highest possible standard.
- Work with editors to ensure your work meets house style.
- Ensure Newsweek delivers high-quality reporting that is accurate, fair, and conforms to accepted standards of journalism.
- Perform any other reasonable duties as necessary to meet the needs of the business.
- Several years of relevant experience in a reporting role for a reputable organization.
- Organization and planning skills.
- SEO and online journalism skills.
- Familiarity covering U.S. news and trends.
- Familiarity with using social media, Google Trends and other news discovery tools to find stories.
- Capable of working to tight deadlines.
- Must be able to work flexible hours.