In this role, you'll act as a senior member of the subbing team to ensure The Telegraph’s News, Politics and Foreign content is published to the highest standard, primarily on our digital platforms but also in print. The Senior Production Journalist should be able to work confidently in a digital-first newsroom but also have the skills and ability to produce top-quality newspaper pages.
- Revise online copy, either pre- or post-publication, and improve headlines, standfirsts and captions, with consideration to both SEO and what “clicks” from the homepage
- Check publishing quality, notably pictures, video, graphics and links
- Work closely with print page editors to edit content across both platforms - or take direct responsibility for print pages if required.
- Liaise with the Head of Digital Production (News), the Head of Digital News and other senior members of the Home and Foreign news desks to ensure publishing priorities are met.
- Set the standard to ensure copy is accurate and brilliantly presented, writing sharp, digital-friendly headlines and making use of the best pictures, video and other multimedia assets.
- Act as a mentor to junior members of the team, giving feedback and training where required to improve performance.
- Proven experience of writing and sub-editing stories on digital and print platforms.
- Experience of working in news at national level.
- Quick, accurate subbing and writing of headlines.
- Digital publishing skills needed, including knowledge of creating embeds such as info boxes, polls, number graphics, etc.
- Experience working on editing and design of print pages
- Enthusiasm, imagination and digital ideas are all essential.
- Outstanding organisational skills
- Able to respond well under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines.
- Understanding of social media and SEO.
- Strong news sense and judgment.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and parental leave (six months fully paid maternity leave and enhanced paternity/partner leave), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Telegraph Media Group, we foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds. We believe in equality of opportunity and welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief.
We are proud to be a Level 3 Disability Confident Leader as part of the government’s Disability Confident Scheme. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition and would like support in applying for any of our roles or if you require any reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
To find out more about Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging at Telegraph Media Group, and for more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.