Reporter, Dow Jones Newswires
locations: Spain - Barcelona
time type: Full time
job requisition id: Job_Req_37934
Dow Jones seeks a reporter to help fuel Dow Jones Newswires’
real-time news service for financial professionals from our newsroom in Barcelona.
Our reporting team monitors corporate and economic news from across Europe using a variety of sources. In addition to headlines and stories, a major part of the role is to quickly analyse news and the signals it provides to investors.
This takes the initial form of short, quick-fire analysis of market-moving corporate news, followed by slightly longer-form analysis that includes more detailed parsing of the event, and extends to more expansive and thematic items.
Ideally, candidates will have some knowledge of what to look for in corporate earnings statements and press releases, and some familiarity with economic data, financial markets and regulation, and a strong interest in these areas.
This is an exciting opportunity to write market-leading breaking news for Dow Jones, the global authority in business journalism and publisher of The Wall Street Journal.
- Monitor press-release feeds, websites and other sources of news and fire off headlines and short stories on key developments for publication in real time.
- Identify important, forward-looking detail from a fast-moving stream of information and turn it into informative, punchy headlines and short articles in English.
- Reporters also might do some text translation, media monitoring and could be asked to crunch data for analysis that might lead to stories.
- Accuracy, speed, excellent news judgement and a close eye for detail are essential.
- Excellent written English and near-native proficiency in one or more additional European languages are essential, with a strong preference for German and/or French.
- Reporters need the flexibility to jump quickly between subjects, and tasks while keeping a calm, clear head.
Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy - All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets. Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, email us at email@example.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Editorial/Journalism
Union Status: Non-Union role