The Independent is one of the world’s few profitable, digital-only news publishers, that was established in 1986 as a UK national newspaper free of party political affiliations or proprietorial influence. In 2016, The Independent became a fully digital publisher, closing print to pursue a sustainable, international, revenue-diverse business model, and to safeguard its values and journalism for the future.
The Independent thrives through innovation and change. It is the first – and only – major UK title to successfully transform to fully digital platform, publishing globally in 6 languages (English, Spanish, Arabic, Persian, Turkish and Urdu).
Through The Independent, Independent TV, eCommerce, indy100, subscriptions and other ‘reader revenues’, The Independent plans to continue the work of many decades, bringing much-needed independent journalism to over 100 million unique global visitors a month, make its voice ever louder and more insistent the world over. Through social media amplification and Licensing & Syndication partnerships, the brand delivers total views in excess of 12 Billion on an annual basis.
The US is The Independent’s most strategic growth market, supported by a global network of journalists, and with more than 50 staff across America alone, clustered primarily in NYC, Washington, DC, and LA. The company operates a 24-hour, around-the-clock, around-the-globe operation.
The Independent is seeking a tenacious and driven Crime Correspondent to join the title’s news team in London.
The successful candidate will have held a similar position at an equivalent publisher, regional title or news agency.
You will be completely comfortable with all aspects of crime and policing reporting - from on the ground incident coverage, to investigative data and policy work around police forces.
The right candidate would be expertly able to navigate large court cases, secure exclusives for backgrounders, be comfortable sensitively approaching victims of crime and be confident and mature if on the ground at a major incident.
You should also be equipped to tackle the issues facing modern policing and understand how to obtain information to tell these stories.
Your copy should be clean and free of jargon, and you will enjoy the editing process of working with a busy news desk.
You will have a long list of story ideas, and will be expected to write backgrounders, features and explainers in addition to breaking news.
The successful candidates will also be expected to have a keen eye for imagery and video to illustrate their work and how to obtain this from the CPS, for instance. A working knowledge of newsroom SEO and how to promote their own work on social media is also desirable, although training will be provided.
The job will sometimes include weekend and evening working, and is likely to involve travel from time to time.
It is based at our Moorgate headquarters, but regular home working and working out on the ground is encouraged.
- At least two years’ post-qualification experience in a busy newsroom.
- An NCTJ qualification.
- A driver’s license.
- Proven ability as a reporter working on significant stories and breaking news.
- Good working knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code/The Independent’s Code of Conduct
- Able to cultivate first-class working relationships with colleagues and contacts.
- Strong familiarity with The Independent brand, its values and style.
- Skilled content creator alive to the possibilities of multimedia and TV.
- Ability to communicate clearly and work collaboratively with colleagues and the news desk.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- We champion diversity in our teams and in our reporting. As a growing and global brand, we must have a workforce that’s more representative of our readers, viewers, clients and partners, and a workplace that creates a sense of belonging for everyone.
- We are committed to hiring and developing a diverse workforce regardless of background, and we support our people to thrive in their careers here.
- The Independent is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
Our values – you will deliver across all our values
Inclusive: We champion diversity in our teams and in our reporting. Working as a team, we put transparency and effective communication at the heart of everything we do.
Innovative: From the very beginning, The Independent has been breaking the mould. We take risks and are always looking to try new ideas in pursuit of excellence.
Independent: Nobody tells us what to think; we make up our own minds and aren’t afraid to do things differently. Like our readers, we value honesty and integrity above outside influences.