Reports to: News Editor
Hybrid working based Finsbury Square and WFH, with some travel
The Independent is one of the world’s few profitable, digital-only news publishers, that was established in 1986 as a UK national newspaper free of party political affiliations or proprietorial influence. In 2016, The Independent became a fully digital publisher, closing print to pursue a sustainable, international, revenue-diverse business model, and to safeguard its values and journalism for the future.
The Independent thrives through innovation and change. It is the first – and only – major UK title to successfully transform to fully digital platform, publishing globally in 6 languages (English, Spanish, Arabic, Persian, Turkish and Urdu).
Through The Independent, Independent TV, eCommerce, indy100, subscriptions and other ‘reader revenues’, The Independent plans to continue the work of many decades, bringing much-needed independent journalism to over 100 million unique global visitors a month, make its voice ever louder and more insistent the world over. Through social media amplification and Licensing & Syndication partnerships, the brand delivers total views in excess of 12 Billion on an annual basis.
The US is The Independent’s most strategic growth market, supported by a global network of journalists, and with more than 50 staff across America alone, clustered primarily in NYC, Washington, DC, and LA. The company operates a 24-hour, around-the-clock, around-the-globe operation.
The Independent is seeking general reporters to join the title’s news team, taking on many of the big issues of the day.
Working under the direction of the newsdesk, the reporters will be required to file authoritative and clean copy to deadline, live-blog, attend court and go out on stories.
Successful applicants will have digital experience at an equivalent title or a regional title.
They will have a long list of story ideas, and will be expected to write backgrounders, features and explainers in addition to breaking news.
The successful candidates will be expected to have a keen eye for imagery and video to illustrate their work, a working knowledge of newsroom SEO and how to promote their own work on social media, although training will be provided.
The job will sometimes include weekend and evening working, and is likely to involve travel from time to time.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
The successful candidate will be a key member of The Independent’s news team, taking on many of the big issues of the day.
Working under the direction of the newsdesk, the senior reporter will be required to file authoritative copy to deadline.
The general reporter will have a first-class contacts book and be expected to work on regular exclusives in addition to breaking news.
- At least two years’ post-qualification experience in a busy newsroom.
- An NCTJ qualification.
- Proven ability as a reporter working on significant stories and breaking news.
- Good working knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code/The Independent’s Code of Conduct
- Able to cultivate first-class working relationships with colleagues and contacts.
- Strong familiarity with The Independent brand, its values and style.
- Skilled content creator alive to the possibilities of multimedia and TV.
- Ability to communicate clearly and work collaboratively with colleagues and the news desk.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion
- We champion diversity in our teams and in our reporting. As a growing and global brand, we must have a workforce that’s more representative of our readers, viewers, clients and partners, and a workplace that creates a sense of belonging for everyone.
- We are committed to hiring and developing a diverse workforce regardless of background, and we support our people to thrive in their careers here.
- The Independent is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
Our values – you will deliver across all our values
Inclusive: We champion diversity in our teams and in our reporting. Working as a team, we put transparency and effective communication at the heart of everything we do.
Innovative: From the very beginning, The Independent has been breaking the mould. We take risks and are always looking to try new ideas in pursuit of excellence.
Independent: Nobody tells us what to think; we make up our own minds and aren’t afraid to do things differently. Like our readers, we value honesty and integrity above outside influences.