Position: Executive Editor
Hours: Full time
Contract type: Permanent
Start time: ASAP
Application deadline: 9am BST on Thursday, 1st June 2023
How to apply: Please apply in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter outlining why you are interested in the role and what skills in particular you could contribute to the organisation, together with a copy of your CV.
The Executive Editor is responsible for providing leadership, planning, support, and strategic insight on global editorial content across China Dialogue Trust’s websites. The ideal candidate would be proactive, highly organised and self-motivated, with relevant leadership experience and excellent communications skills, and would have a high level of knowledge of global environmental affairs and a commitment to accuracy and constructive global dialogue.
China Dialogue Trust is an independent organisation dedicated to advancing climate action by promoting an understanding of climate change and the environment across barriers of language and culture.
For more than 15 years, our work has illuminated both China’s environmental crises and its global environmental footprint. We cover everything from innovations in green technology to the impact of belt-and-road investment to share knowledge and advance solutions.
We are a UK-registered charity headquartered in London, with a team in China, a growing cohort of regional editors across India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Thailand, Indonesia, Brazil, Peru, Mexico, Argentina, Gambia, Kenya, Malawi and Sierra Leone, and a network of expert contributors and partners around the world. China Dialogue Trust researches, writes, commissions, edits and publishes news reports and analyses of environmental and climate threats, to stimulate the exchange of information and ideas between readers in diverse geographies.
China Dialogue Trust publishes across four websites:
- chinadialogue.net, our flagship site launched in 2006, reports in Chinese and English on environment and climate change, with a focus on China. It attracted nearly 1.7 million page views in 2022.
- thethirdpole.net, in English, Hindi, Urdu, Nepali, Bengali and Russian, is dedicated to understanding water, climate and the environment across Asia. It attracted nearly 1.9 million page views in 2022 and is widely syndicated across the subcontinent.
- dialogochino.net, which publishes in English, Spanish and Portuguese, was launched in 2014 and is focused on China’s environmental and social impacts in Latin America. In 2022, it attracted over 1.2 million page views.
- chinadialogueocean.net focuses on China’s policies and impacts on the marine environment, which are critical for the global ocean, and was launched in 2018. China Dialogue Ocean attracted nearly 370,000 page views in 2022.
With its expertise and rich experience in communication and public education, China Dialogue Trust raises awareness and makes online and real-world dialogues happen – to promote and support perspectives that increase understanding, and inspire a greater awareness of the planet’s challenges.
- Develop and implement an editorial content strategy shaped around cross-cutting global ideas;
- Plan and commission editorial content;
- Mentor and cultivate Chinese editorial staff as the team grows and develops to ensure high-quality editorial output;
- Chair global editorial meetings and coordinate between international editorial teams;
- Lead editorial projects in partnership with other project team members, including drawing up publishing schedules and managing project editorial budgets;
- Evaluate and monitor project progress and impact;
- Build and sustain new partnerships and spearhead new opportunities for editorial projects;
- Organise and facilitate roundtables, workshops and other events;
- Work with the Senior Management Team on fundraising proposals and reports.
You may be asked to perform other duties as required by the CEO or COO from time to time.
An understanding of, and commitment to, the work and values of the China Dialogue Trust;
Proven experience as an editorial team leader. The ability to motivate, mentor and supervise team members;
Considerable work experience in journalism, editorial or a relevant communications field;
Familiar with environmental protection, climate change and energy issues. Able to independently conduct interviews and write articles;
Project management ability and multi-task coordination processing ability;
Strong English language skills.