Photo Editor, The Wall Street Journal - NY
- Dow Jones
- New York, NY
- Closing date
- Mar 29, 2023
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Finance, News
- Photographer, Photojournalist, Editor, Picture Editor
The Wall Street Journal is looking for a photo editor with great range, experience and journalistic integrity, who can work on our news hub.
This is an autonomous role, with responsibilities ranging from monitoring and covering breaking news, to live news coverage. Work may include building stories in our CMS, conducting deep research using various photo wire agencies, and collaborating with other photo editors, other visual colleagues and editors across the newsroom. Strong coordination skills and news judgment are a must.
This is an opportunity to work within a large newsroom setting with bureaus around the world. You will join a dynamic and fast-paced team of photo editors.
The position will be based in our New York office and reports to the Deputy Photography Director, News. You will work on a Sunday to Thursday schedule.
- Curate and produce visually-led stories in a fast-paced newsroom, anticipating photographic and other needs as stories develop.
- Work in our CMS to combine different formats, newsroom tools and visual elements.
- Juggle multiple stories, under varying deadlines in a fast-moving newsroom environment.
- Occasionally commission photography, working with our freelance photographers, editors and reporters on breaking and other news coverage.
- Follow department guidelines and safety protocols in working with photographers and subjects.
- Perform deep, pre-emptive photo research with the Obits team, coordinating and managing a significant inventory.
- Work with platform and off-platform editors to surface visually-led stories strategically across all platforms.
- At least 3 years of experience in a news photo editing role, an enthusiasm for good journalism and current events, and keen news judgment.
- Proven deep photography research skills and experience with news gathering tools.
- Knowledge of content management systems, Adobe Photoshop, Photo Mechanic, video editing, FTP, and social media tools.
- Motivation to work independently as well as with a team, and are willing to take on and learn new tasks.
- Strong organizational and communication skills, with an ability to balance short and long term projects across different sections.
The Journal's reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Art/Graphics Group
NYC Pay Range: $50,000 - $180,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate's experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including "elective" benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce.
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 35861
We break stories, influence ideas, and advance business intelligence and cultural interest.
We expose the events that turn markets, the digital breakthroughs that transform art, the demand that drives invention, as well as the political and societal passing moments and lasting consequences.
We are the people of Dow Jones. From different fields, backgrounds and viewpoints we invite you to join us.
Examine the world and bring it to others.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert