Supervising Producer - Weekend News Video, The Wall Street Journal - NY
- Dow Jones
- New York, NY
- NYC Pay Range: $65,000 - $200,000
- Closing date
- Apr 1, 2023
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Video Producer, Video Editor, TV & Video Production Editor
The Wall Street Journal is looking for a weekend supervising producer to oversee and produce news coverage as part of our global video team in New York.
Excellent editorial judgment, high quality production experience and team-management skills are key for this position, which will follow a Thursday through Monday schedule. Top candidates are ones who take initiative and can work independently to create short, timely, accurate and relevant videos that stand out in the 24/7 information cycle. An understanding of short-form video formats and how they perform on multiple platforms including YouTube, TikTok and Instagram is a must.
While you will help manage a small New York-based team with the executive producer of news, this is a hands-on role. You should have a track record of producing high-quality, quick-turn news on tight deadlines.
The position will be based in our New York office and reports to the Executive Producer of News.
To apply, please submit your résumé, a cover letter clearly outlining how your skills and experience meet or exceed the key candidate requirements, and links to five videos that represent the type of work described. Candidates who do not submit cover letters will not be considered.
- Lead the weekend video news team, working a Thursday through Monday schedule.
- Work with the Executive Producer and a team of video journalists, domestically and overseas producing short, quick-turn news videos daily.
- Work closely with the executive producer to conceptualize and program daily news coverage.
- Work with video journalists to reformat and reproduce news videos for platforms such as YouTube, TikTok and Instagram.
- Provide clear and productive feedback on scripts and videos to hone story angles, strengthen scripts.
- Closely monitor news feeds and breaking news events as needed.
- Coach reporters and news editors to appear on camera or in voiceover.
- Collaborate closely with key newsroom editors, overseas video leaders and producers to develop best-in-class video journalism.
- Ensure videos maintain the highest production value and all journalistic and legal standards are followed.
- Work late hours as breaking news events may warrant.
- Complete additional duties as assigned.
- At least eight years of experience working in a daily video news environment, including time spent managing a team of journalists.
- Experience producing and/or overseeing videos designed to perform on social media platforms, including TikTok, Instagram Reels and YouTube Shorts.
- Professional experience writing and reviewing headlines, captions and scripts for news stories under tight time constraints.
- Clear communication skills with exceptional written and collaboration skills.
- A deep understanding of current events, global politics and economics, as well as a nose for news.
- Experience producing compelling international, business, markets and tech videos under tight deadline constraints.
- Fluency with internet culture and trends.
- A specific understanding of content and audience differentiation on various platforms including O&O and YouTube.
- A track record of translating complex business and economics stories into reporting that informs WSJ's core subscriber base and appeals to broader audiences
The Journal's reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
NYC Pay Range: $65,000 - $200,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate's experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including "elective" benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce.
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 34925
We break stories, influence ideas, and advance business intelligence and cultural interest.
We expose the events that turn markets, the digital breakthroughs that transform art, the demand that drives invention, as well as the political and societal passing moments and lasting consequences.
We are the people of Dow Jones. From different fields, backgrounds and viewpoints we invite you to join us.
Examine the world and bring it to others.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert