Sustainable Business Reporter, The Wall Street Journal - NY
- Dow Jones
- New York, NY
- Closing date
- Mar 29, 2023
- Job Type
- Full Time
The Wall Street Journal is looking for a resourceful, energetic writer to cover corporate sustainability. This beat offers the opportunity to write smart analysis about a subject that is right at the top of global executives' list of priorities.
The new climate bill has pushed climate, ESG and sustainability related issues to the forefront of business policy and strategy. Investors are scrutinizing companies' environmental, social and governance performance. Regulators are mandating new non-financial disclosures. Customers want to know that companies are doing good, not just doing well. You will chronicle the new opportunities and pitfalls awaiting businesses as a result.
As a reporter writing for WSJ Pro Sustainable Business, you will write about companies trying new things, like setting up circular business models, and puzzling over what to do with profitable businesses that are suddenly out of favor with environmentally conscious investors.
This position is based in New York and will report to the editor of WSJ Pro Sustainable Business.
- Analyze and explain how companies are approaching ambitious climate goals that have suddenly become important, from choosing which carbon offsets to buy to measuring the emissions generated by their supply chains.
- Explore and dig into the maze of mandatory and voluntary standards for environmental, social and governance-related disclosures, and how companies are negotiating it.
- Report and write to a professional audience about how companies are managing their sustainability strategies, from hiring decisions to tough choices about how to balance financial and non-financial objectives.
- Convey insightful information that business leaders can use to make better decisions.
- Produce a range of stories from breaking news and exclusives to features and original analysis that is compelling to the informed professional reader.
- Travel to companies and events in key business markets to develop your original reporting.
- A roster of industry contacts, and show eagerness to continue cultivating sources among senior-level leaders and executives at private-equity firms, pension funds and other related asset managers across the United States and other global business centers.
- At least five years of experience writing about climate- and sustainability-related issues.
- The ability to explain complex and sophisticated technologies in a clear and lucid manner, connecting them to the broader business in a way that is compelling and useful for the professional reader.
- A proven ability to write clearly and analytically for a professional audience.
- A collaborative and team-oriented approach to your work.
- A passion for being part of The Wall Street Journal's fast-paced, global news organization, and meeting the highest standards of business journalism.
To apply, please submit a resume, a cover letter explaining how you would approach the role and samples of your work.
The Journal's reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
NYC Pay Range: $50,000 - $180,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate's experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including "elective" benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce.
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 34523
We break stories, influence ideas, and advance business intelligence and cultural interest.
We expose the events that turn markets, the digital breakthroughs that transform art, the demand that drives invention, as well as the political and societal passing moments and lasting consequences.
We are the people of Dow Jones. From different fields, backgrounds and viewpoints we invite you to join us.
Examine the world and bring it to others.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert