Business News Visual Editor, The Wall Street Journal - NY
- Dow Jones
- New York, NY
- NYC Pay Range: $65,000 - $200,000
- Closing date
- Mar 29, 2023
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Business, News
- Editor, Digital Designer, Digital Production Editor, Graphic Artist
The Wall Street Journal is seeking a Visual Editor to direct the visual coverage of our most impactful stories as part of our graphics team based in our New York office.
You will focus on business news that spans many areas, from technology and energy, to how inflation is affecting businesses and the global economy.This is a leadership position spanning fast-turnaround news as well as longer-term projects.
You will directly manage and inspire a team of graphics specialists to do their best work in a variety of graphics formats with a strong focus on data visualizations, but also cartography, 3D, illustrations, and more.
In this highly collaborative role, the Visual Editor will report to the Director of Graphics. You will also work closely with our heads of visuals technology and digital design, along with reporters and editors in our newsroom.
This senior position provides an exciting opportunity to work with an award-
winning department to drive informative and analytic visual storytelling with graphics, data, and design.
- Prioritize, assign, and direct visual content for business news stories, including both visually led stories as well as graphics that can advance core reporting.
- Work with the Graphics Director and other coworkers to create smooth processes in a deeply networked newsroom.
- Manage a team of visual specialists, providing constructive feedback on projects and mentorship.
- Work in close partnership with all touchpoints, including reporters and editors from different coverage areas. While this position is focused on digital graphics, consideration should be given to sharing work with graphics colleagues who work predominantly for our print paper.
- Keep stakeholders apprised of all projects by maintaining departmental project lists and attending relevant meetings to ensure all milestones and editorial requirements are met.
- Create a portfolio of high-impact visual stories that are analytical, clear, and accurate.
- Recommend and lead change where required to strengthen the team and the journalism.
- At least six years of experience leading a team of visual journalists, or equivalent experience.
- Prior experience in a newsroom, with excellent news, data and design judgment.
- An expansive understanding of visual storytelling focused on data and graphics, but also an abilit to advise when other forms are more appropriate for a story, such as design, or illustration
- A deep understanding and appreciation of business news.
- Experience with people and performance management, or equivalent experience.
- Experience managing change, creating new processes and workflows.
- A passion and expertise in data journalism and associated tools, such as Excel, SQL, R, Python.
- Excellent organizational skills using Google tools, Slack, and Microsoft Office.
- Experience building consensus and motivating different personalities and teams.
- The ability to work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines.
- The initiative to take on and learn new tasks in a fast-moving environment.
The Journal's reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
NYC Pay Range: $65,000 - $200,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate's experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including "elective" benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce.
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 34798
We break stories, influence ideas, and advance business intelligence and cultural interest.
We expose the events that turn markets, the digital breakthroughs that transform art, the demand that drives invention, as well as the political and societal passing moments and lasting consequences.
We are the people of Dow Jones. From different fields, backgrounds and viewpoints we invite you to join us.
Examine the world and bring it to others.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert