Video Journalist - Weekend News Video, The Wall Street Journal - NY
- Dow Jones
- New York, NY
- NYC Pay Range: $40,000 - $160,000
- Closing date
- Apr 1, 2023
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Video Producer, Multimedia Journalist, TV & Video Production Editor
The Wall Street Journal is looking for a video journalist to join its global news operation in New York.
Video journalists are responsible for producing topical, quick-turn, news-focused videos. We're looking for someone with a professional background in video journalism who demonstrates exceptional editing skills. This person, who will work Thursday through Monday, will join a team responsible for producing short, timely, accurate videos for our audience, as well as reformatting and reproducing our news videos for platforms such as YouTube Shorts, TikTok and Instagram Reels.
Excellent news judgment and the ability to react quickly are essential. Successful candidates will juggle many tasks and should be excited about covering the day's news events across a variety of subjects.
Please note, this is not an entry-level position, and it is not a position producing documentaries. Because this is a role focused on producing timely news coverage, candidates need to show successful executions of projects that stand out in the 24/7 information cycle.
This position will be based in our New York City office and reports to the Weekend Supervising Producer.
To apply, please submit your résumé, a cover letter clearly outlining how your skills and experience meet or exceed the key candidate requirements, and links to five videos that represent the type of work described. Candidates who do not submit cover letters will not be considered.
- Work as a quick-turn video producer on a Thursday through Monday schedule
- Pitch, write and produce visual-first new and original story ideas every day to ensure timely news coverage.
- Closely monitor news feeds and breaking news events as needed.
- Aggregate social videos and agency footage for visual breaking news stories and clip newsworthy soundbites from newsmakers.
- Search for opportunities to strengthen text articles with quick-turn videos.
- Reformat and reproduce news videos for platforms such as YouTube, TikTok and Instagram.
- Collaborate with editorial leaders across coverage areas to ensure that The Journal's unbiased understanding of news and expert analysis is reflected in every video published.
- Fact-check scripts and ensure that all journalistic and legal standards are followed.
- Work late hours as part of a regular rotation and as breaking news events may warrant.
- Complete additional duties as assigned.
- At least three years of experience producing digital videos in a daily news environment at a national or global media company.
- Experience producing videos designed to perform on social media platforms, including TikTok, Instagram Reels and YouTube Shorts.
- Professional experience writing headlines, captions and scripts for news stories under tight time constraints.
- Clear communication skills with exceptional written and collaboration skills.
- Demonstrated experience producing compelling business, tech, politics, and general news videos on deadline.
- Knowledge of current events, U.S. and international politics, economics, and a nose for news.
- Fluency with internet culture and trends.
- Skills with multiple camera setups, including but not limited to the Sony FS5, FS7, C100 and C300.
- Professional competency editing with Adobe Premiere.
The Journal's reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
NYC Pay Range: $40,000 - $160,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate's experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including "elective" benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce.
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 34929
We break stories, influence ideas, and advance business intelligence and cultural interest.
We expose the events that turn markets, the digital breakthroughs that transform art, the demand that drives invention, as well as the political and societal passing moments and lasting consequences.
We are the people of Dow Jones. From different fields, backgrounds and viewpoints we invite you to join us.
Examine the world and bring it to others.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert