Page Designer, The Wall Street Journal - NY
- Dow Jones
- New York, NY
- NYC Pay Range: $40,000 - $160,000
- Closing date
- Mar 29, 2023
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Graphic Design, News
- Production, Copy Editor / Page Designer
The Wall Street Journal is looking for a print page designer with a broad range of design experience who can produce consistently excellent work. This is an opportunity to join a dynamic and fast-paced team of award-winning designers and be a strong visual storyteller within a large newsroom with global reach.
You will be responsible for designing pages for The Wall Street Journal, working closely with art directors, editors and other visual teams. You will be working in various sections of the daily newspaper such as U.S. News, World and Business & Finance.
The role is based in our New York office and reports to the deputy design chief for news.
- Work with section editors, photo editors and graphic editors to determine how to best prioritize the display of stories in a variety of layouts.
- Work closely with an art director to determine how best to tell stories visually and prioritize how to display stories.
- Work with other designers to produce visually compelling and journalistically sound layouts and content for a daily news section.
- Review advertising layouts and develop compelling visual plans that best represent print stories.
- Produce creative layouts within the boundaries of established styles and design.and ensuring layout and font consistency across the section.
- Effectively balance competing priorities and manage time to meet section deadlines.
- Lead design conversations weekly section planning meetings.
- Clearly communicates to art director needs and alerts with potential issues
- Assist other team members with their assignments.
- Deliver pages that reflect the high journalistic standards of the WSJ.
- Fill in for art director when needed.
- At least one to five years experience in magazine or newspaper design
- A passion for journalism with excellent news judgment.
- Good and demonstrable design and typography skills.
- Flexibility to work with both Macintosh and PC operating systems. An understanding of CSS and XML.
- An ability to advocate for visual storytelling in the newsroom to help reporters and editors understand best design practices.
- Flexibility to take on and learn new tasks in a fast-moving, deadline-driven environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite, Google Suite, Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of responsive design and best practices for building stories for mobile devices is a bonus.
- Experience with Eidos Media's Methode publishing system is a plus.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume, a cover letter and a design portfolio.
The Journal's reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Art/Graphics Group
NYC Pay Range: $40,000 - $160,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate's experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including "elective" benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce.
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 35101
We break stories, influence ideas, and advance business intelligence and cultural interest.
We expose the events that turn markets, the digital breakthroughs that transform art, the demand that drives invention, as well as the political and societal passing moments and lasting consequences.
We are the people of Dow Jones. From different fields, backgrounds and viewpoints we invite you to join us.
Examine the world and bring it to others.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert