Principal Analyst - Americas Inorganics, OPIS - TX
- Dow Jones
- Houston, TX
- Closing date
- Apr 1, 2023
Chemical Market Analytics by OPIS, a Dow Jones company, provides real-time and historical data in Olefins & Derivatives, Aromatics & Fibers, Plastics & Polymers, Inorganics & Syngas. It isWe are the most trusted source of intelligence to guide decisions and manage risk in the global chemical industry. Chemical Market Analytics' and our unique insights help the industries and markets that drive our economies to outpace competition, and secure long-term success as efficiently as possible.
Principal Analyst, Americas Inorganics
The position reports to the Global Chlor-alkali Market Advisory Service Leader. Characteristics of the ideal candidate include:
- Ten or more years of chemical industry experience, including experience related to the chlor-alkali, other electrolytic chemicals, alumina/aluminum, or pulp & paper industries; Commercial experience is desirable
- University degree required. Chemical engineering or chemistry degree preferred; MBA or other graduate degree is desirable
- Understands the CMA and Dow Jones business model
- Outgoing personality - Ability and willingness to establish and maintain personal relationships and develop high degree of trust at multiple levels within a client's organization
- Demonstrated organized ability to research through established contacts with diverse market participant channels in telephone e-mail and face-to-face interfaces; ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including fluent in English; Portuguese and/or Spanish language fluency preferred; writing sample submissions required
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills; ability to identify and articulate core/essential issues within complex problems and deliver insights and solutions. Deals well with ambiguity and contradiction.
- Strong computer modelling and excel spreadsheet management skills. Advanced excel skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office Professional suite
- Persuasive speaker at all client levels to small and large audiences
- Demonstrated "team player"; ability to internalize organizational strategy and objectives and provide peer leadership for collaborative success. Drives for action and results.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally (after travel is safe)
- Willing to consider remote candidates willing to travel to Houston Enclave office periodically
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Provides primary research and ongoing analysis for markets in North and South America. Products covered may include, caustic soda, chlorine, chlor-alkali derivatives including but not limited to alumina, vinyls, and pulp, sodium chlorate and hydrogen peroxide. Research includes, but is not limited to producer capacities, supply/demand balance information, trade balances, pricing, production costs, individual company analysis, market analysis and consumption analysis and associated econometric modeling.
- Converts previous chemical industry experience, knowledge and expertise, analysis and insights into sustainable, profitable market advisory services.
- Builds and nourishes personal relationships with key industry contacts in the geographic coverage region that manufacture, consume or otherwise have financial interest in the chemicals assigned for analysis. Utilizes contacts to regularly collect market information; provides insightful reporting and analysis that benefits existing and potential clients of CMAservices.
- Promptly responds to internal and external client questions and serve as a resource for client brainstorming/discussions. Contributes market expertise to proprietary projects, as needed.
- Independently interfaces with clients on areas of market expertise. Develops market presentations and pursues opportunities to present information in face-to-face client industry contact meetings, and at conferences. Actively markets the CMA capabilities in direct interface meetings.
- Provides regular neutral and objective price inputs and written analysis for Market Advisory Service reports. Continuously improves writing quality and effectiveness.
- Develops and maintains a fundamental working understanding of CMA basic model templates of supply/demand, econometric price forecasts, and trade grids. Updates the production capacity database and supply-demand balances.
- Actively pursues and develops unique analytical approaches that provide value to CMA clients and potential clients. Challenges existing analytical framework and conventional wisdom for continuous improvement.
- Regularly interfaces with global Market Advisory Services team members to ensure analysis consistency.
- Identifies new business opportunities for sales and consulting follow-up. Supports sales and consulting as needed to secure new client subscriptions and renewals.
- Proactively expands knowledge in other chemical areas to identify and advance new product opportunities for the Inorganics group.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: OPIS-CMA
Job Category: Data/Content Group
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 33562
We break stories, influence ideas, and advance business intelligence and cultural interest.
We expose the events that turn markets, the digital breakthroughs that transform art, the demand that drives invention, as well as the political and societal passing moments and lasting consequences.
We are the people of Dow Jones. From different fields, backgrounds and viewpoints we invite you to join us.
Examine the world and bring it to others.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert