Principal Journalist, OPIS - DC
- Dow Jones
- Washington, DC
- Closing date
- Apr 1, 2023
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Finance, Energy
- Financial Journalist, Editor
OPIS is a thriving energy pricing, news, and software provider. We provide transparency through real-time news, pricing services, educational courses, software tools and market-specific benchmark pricing reports that enable our customers to make smarter, more informed decisions. You will work for a company that is customer-focused and your work will benefit our customers from just about your first day on the job. We offer competitive salaries; a full benefits package, and an opportunity to grow both your salary and responsibilities while utilizing the latest technologies.
The position for Principal Journalist in the News group is a Remote-US position and will be responsible for producing content for our real-time news wire and weekly newsletter services focusing on the downstream petroleum supply chain in North America. Qualified candidates would need to work in a tight deadline environment with attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple tasks at once.
- Reporting on multiple aspects of the North American petroleum supply chain from the refinery to the retail pump for daily news alerts as well as weekly newsletters, whether breaking news or analytical features.
- Contribute to the OPIS Refinery Maintenance Report by publishing updates as well as collecting data on refinery operations
- Market reporting on multiple elements from the futures market to spot, wholesale, and retail.
- Generate exclusive content through source relationships as well as using unique OPIS data.
- Contribute to social media content, blog posts and industry analysis.
- Participate in team editorial meetings.
- Occasional travel to OPIS educational conferences and other industry events for news coverage and source development.
- Undergraduate degree in Journalism, English, Finance or Business.
- Minimum of 2-4 years journalism experience, but willing to consider recent graduates.
- Ability to take difficult concepts and explain them through content that is relevant to OPIS readers.
- Proven record of producing original content through story ideas and/or exclusives
- Working in a collaborative environment and under tight daily, sometimes hourly deadlines
- Ability to interact with customers and co-workers in a professional environment.
- Three years reporting/journalism experience in energy reporting, upstream or downstream petroleum reporting a plus.
- Experience with spreadsheets and energy data analysis.
- Experience in a daily news publication
- Self-motivated, business-minded and results driven. Detail oriented and innovative thinker.
- Confident and charismatic in engagement and communication.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: OPIS
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 30702
We break stories, influence ideas, and advance business intelligence and cultural interest.
We expose the events that turn markets, the digital breakthroughs that transform art, the demand that drives invention, as well as the political and societal passing moments and lasting consequences.
We are the people of Dow Jones. From different fields, backgrounds and viewpoints we invite you to join us.
Examine the world and bring it to others.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert