Graphics Reporter - News, The Wall Street Journal - NY
- Dow Jones
- New York, NY
- NYC Pay Range: $40,000 - $160,000
- Closing date
- Apr 1, 2023
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Graphic Design, News
The Wall Street Journal is looking for an experienced Graphics Reporter to drive innovative storytelling for digital audiences.
You will work on both fast-turnaround and longer-term news and enterprise projects that cross a number of coverage areas, such as business, technology, finance, health, and international news.
You will bring your own strong ideas and work with other visual journalists, editors and reporters to create information-rich news graphics, interactive stories, multimedia, and data visualizations.
You will have the opportunity to develop a new or existing area of coverage expertise, but also work on a range of topics aligned with your visual and technical skills.
We're looking for someone who is endlessly curious and comfortable in a role at the intersection of journalism, design, and technology.
- Report, research, and build visual stories that might be assigned to you by an editor, an original pitch that you developed, or a collaboration with other reporters and editors.
- Identify and pitch visual opportunities for themes and news topics that are editorial priorities or timely off-the-news stories.
- Think broadly about the opportunities provided by integrating different formats, including video, photography, and graphics.
- Align the scope of work with deadline needs.
- Create smart user experiences for visual stories across WSJ platforms and external platforms.
- Help review and provide feedback on other visual stories that are created in the department.
- Help reporters and editors learn new skills that will contribute to their visual storytelling.
- Work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines.
- At least three years of experience working in a newsroom or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated experience with information graphics and multimedia journalism for digital audiences.
- Superior skills in design, including layout and typography.
- Good knowledge of the technical and UX nuances of digital platforms and best practices for building stories for mobile devices.
- At least one or two other specialties preferred, which might include data visualization, cartography, 3D, or illustration.
- A good understanding of business and financial news, with the flexibility to work as a topic generalist.
This position reports to a Visual Editor and is based in New York or Washington DC.
To apply, please submit your resume, a cover letter explaining how your skills and experience align with the requirements of the role and a link to your portfolio of work examples.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Art/Graphics Group
NYC Pay Range: $40,000 - $160,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate's experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including "elective" benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce.
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 32501
We break stories, influence ideas, and advance business intelligence and cultural interest.
We expose the events that turn markets, the digital breakthroughs that transform art, the demand that drives invention, as well as the political and societal passing moments and lasting consequences.
We are the people of Dow Jones. From different fields, backgrounds and viewpoints we invite you to join us.
Examine the world and bring it to others.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert