Sr Research Analyst II, OPIS - TX
- Dow Jones
- Houston, TX
- Closing date
- Mar 22, 2023
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Marketing / Research, Newswires, Research, Energy
- Responsible for comprehensive understanding and analysis of the Bleaching chemicals market in North America as directed by the Bleaching Chemicals Global Service Leader
- Provides primary research and price discovery for hydrogen peroxide, sodium chlorate, and potassium hydroxide consuming industries. Research includes, but is not limited to market dynamics, producer capacities, supply/demand balance information, trade balances, pricing, production costs, individual company analysis, market analysis and consumption analysis and associated econometric modeling.
- Supports Global Chlor-alkali Market Advisory Service as pulp and paper sector market expert.
- Provides primary research of alumina and aluminum industries, from a caustic soda consumption perspective, including ownership of supply/demand balances.
- Primary responsibility for development and maintenance of sophisticated and complex econometric model for the chlor-alkali and vinyls markets.
- Converts previous chemical and market industry experience, knowledge and expertise, analysis, and insights into sustainable, profitable market advisory services.
- Builds and nourishes personal relationships with key contacts in the hydrogen peroxide and sodium chlorate, end user markets, and financial industry representatives. Utilizes contacts to regularly collect market information. Provides insightful reporting and analysis that benefits existing and potential clients of Chemical Market Analytics by OPIS.
- Promptly responds to internal and external client questions and serve as a resource for client brainstorming/discussions. Contributes market expertise to proprietary projects, as needed.
- Independently interfaces with clients on areas of market expertise. Develops market presentations and pursues opportunities to present information in face-to-face client industry contact meetings, and at conferences. Actively markets the Chemical Market Analytics by OPIS capabilities in direct interface meetings.
- Provides regular neutral and objective price inputs and written analysis for Monthly Market Advisory Service reports. Continuously improves writing quality and effectiveness.
- Develops and maintains a fundamental working understanding of Chemical Market Analytics by OPIS basic model templates of supply/demand, econometric price forecasts, and trade grids. Updates the production capacity database and supply-demand balances.
- Actively pursues and develops unique analytical approaches that provide value to Chemical Market Analytics by OPIS clients and potential clients. Challenges existing analytical framework and conventional wisdom for continuous improvement.
- Regularly interfaces with global Market Advisory Services team members to ensure analysis consistency.
- Identify opportunities to grow the Global Bleaching Chemicals Market Advisory Service.
- Identifies new business opportunities for sales and consulting follow-up. Supports sales and consulting as needed to secure new client subscriptions and renewals.
- Proactively expands knowledge in other chemical areas to identify and advance new product opportunities for the Inorganics group.
- Five or more years of chemical industry experience, including experience related to the bleaching chemicals, chlor-alkali, inorganics, pulp or pulp-related chemical industries is desirable; Commercial experience is also desirable
- Has a repository of established contacts in the chemical industry and is recognized by the industry as a knowledgeable expert.
- University degree required. Chemical engineering or chemistry degree preferred, economics is acceptable; MBA or other graduate degree is desirable
- Outgoing personality; ability and willingness to establish and maintain personal relationships and develop high degree of trust at multiple levels within a client's organization
- Demonstrated organized ability to research through established contacts with diverse market participant channels in telephone, videocalls, email and face-to-face interfaces; ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including fluent in English
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills; ability to identify and articulate core/essential issues within complex problems and deliver insights and solutions. Deals well with ambiguity and contradiction.
- Strong computer modelling and excel spreadsheet management skills. Advanced excel skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office Professional suite
- Persuasive speaker at all client levels to small and large audiences
- Demonstrated "team player"; ability to internalize organizational strategy and objectives; team leadership experience with demonstrated ability to motivate for collaborative success. Drives for action and results
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally
Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy - All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets. Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, email us at email@example.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: OPIS-CMA
Job Category: Data Analytics/Warehousing & Business Intelligence
Non-Union / A clear and likely internal candidate
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 35282
We break stories, influence ideas, and advance business intelligence and cultural interest.
We expose the events that turn markets, the digital breakthroughs that transform art, the demand that drives invention, as well as the political and societal passing moments and lasting consequences.
We are the people of Dow Jones. From different fields, backgrounds and viewpoints we invite you to join us.
Examine the world and bring it to others.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert