Political Data Reporter, The Wall Street Journal - DC
- Dow Jones
- Washington, DC
- Closing date
- Mar 22, 2023
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Nationals, Business, Finance, News
- Data Journalist, Reporter
The Wall Street Journal is seeking an experienced and aggressive reporter with strong data gathering and analysis skills to join the Politics Team in its Washington Bureau.
You will be at the center of the team's efforts to expand its use of data in covering shifting voter attitudes and demographic trends ahead of the 2024 presidential election, as well as helping to cover money in politics, lobbying and government accountability.
- Be a critical part of our primary and election night coverage tasked with helping the newsroom interpret results from races and voter surveys for live blogs, stories and visuals.
- Develop and deliver first-rate enterprise and investigative stories.
- Work in a collegial manner since the job will often involve teaming up with the Journal's expansive roster of excellent journalists across the U.S. and around the world.
- Experience compiling and analyzing election, campaign finance and voter data and the ability to translate findings into impactful stories and unearth trends.
- An intermediate to expert proficiency with a programming language such as Python or R as well as SQL databases and cloud computing environments.
- An intermediate to expert proficiency with GIS software such as QGIS, PostGIS or ArcGIS, or have experience working with geospatial data in a programming language.
This position reports to Political Editor Ben Pershing. To apply, please submit your resume, at least five clips and a cover letter explaining how your skills, experience and interests align with the requirements of the role.
The Journal's reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy - All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets. Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 36483
We break stories, influence ideas, and advance business intelligence and cultural interest.
We expose the events that turn markets, the digital breakthroughs that transform art, the demand that drives invention, as well as the political and societal passing moments and lasting consequences.
We are the people of Dow Jones. From different fields, backgrounds and viewpoints we invite you to join us.
Examine the world and bring it to others.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert