SEO Editor, The Wall Street Journal - NY
- Dow Jones
- New York, NY
- Closing date
- Mar 22, 2023
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Online, Finance, News
- Production, Editor, Production Editor
The Wall Street Journal is looking for an editor to join the global SEO team. In this role, you will be embedded across the newsroom to help bureaus and journalists reach more readers and expose them to our outstanding journalism.
You must be able to employ expert news judgment and demonstrate a strong understanding of SEO for news publishing, especially pertaining to finance and markets coverage. You will become one of the Journal's go-to experts for all things SEO and will be responsible for improving the Journal's online visibility in search for our biggest news stories, as well as our evergreen offerings.
You will also be responsible for helping to scale SEO strategy and tactics by taking a leading role in the regular training of the newsroom and undertaking ongoing analysis of our search performance to help develop novel approaches to producing our journalism.
- Attend daily news meetings to suggest stories we should be writing, and identify those which should be closely updated and monitored for SEO optimization including headline changes, backlinks and image optimization.
- Work closely with WSJ's editorial team to identify where we are gaining and losing ranking.
- Analyze WSJ's Search performance in close partnership with the Data Science team.
- Create curated trends list to communicate the top keywords for the day's top stories.
- Produce keyword research for evergreen topics.
- Create and produce Newsroom SEO content strategy.
- Work with the wider SEO Team to deliver impactful training sessions to newsroom editors, journalists and more.
- Contribute to an SEO calendar with topics, content ideas, and other strategic notes
- At least 2-4 years of experience in growing SEO organically within a newsroom environment.
- Ability to perform keyword and trend research to identify what keywords and topics to target, as well as make this accessible for editorial teams.
- Expert ability to optimize content using SEO tools such as Google Trends and other SERP tools including top stories and organic search.
- Proven experience in developing and contributing to search-oriented content strategy.
- Familiarity with the Journal's brand, content offerings, and various digital/print platforms.
- Good working knowledge of Adobe Analytics (Omniture) and Google Search Console.
This position will be based in New York and will report to the Senior SEO Editor. To apply, please submit a résumé and a cover letter explaining how you would approach the job.
The Journal's reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
NYC Pay Range: $50,000 - $180,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate's experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including "elective" benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce.
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 36291
We break stories, influence ideas, and advance business intelligence and cultural interest.
We expose the events that turn markets, the digital breakthroughs that transform art, the demand that drives invention, as well as the political and societal passing moments and lasting consequences.
We are the people of Dow Jones. From different fields, backgrounds and viewpoints we invite you to join us.
Examine the world and bring it to others.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert