Deputy News Editor / 11817
Salary: c.£30,000 per annum
Haymarket is a successful international specialist media company. We have over 60 market-leading brands in the consumer and B2B markets across the UK, US, Asia, India and Germany, connecting people and communities across digital, print, festivals, awards, conferences, and exhibitions.
As a global business operating in diverse markets, we are inherently multicultural and we are committed to attracting, developing and retaining talent who reflect the communities we serve. We equally recognise our broader responsibility to society as a whole and use our power and influence to drive diversity, equity and inclusion within our markets.
Campaign is dedicated to providing the advertising, media and marketing industries with the information, inspiration and insight they need to be successful. News is central to Campaign’s output and the Deputy News Editor is an important member of the editorial team.
The Deputy News Editor is responsible for supporting the News Editor to oversee the news output of Campaign. The Deputy News Editor will spend much of their time breaking their own stories and writing features and analysis.
- Commissioning, editing and writing news stories and analysis to Campaign’s house style and the highest journalistic standards.
- Building and maintaining an extensive bank of industry contacts
- Breaking off-diary exclusives.
- Supporting the News Editor to set and direct Campaign’s news strategy.
- Regularly oversee the news output (circa 1.5 days a week); commissioning stories, supporting colleagues with their news gathering and keeping the Production Editor regularly updated about copy flow.
- Comprehensively hand over to the News Editor to ensure a seamless transition and work with them to maintain a list of running stories and a comprehensive forward news diary.
- Working with the Head of Audience Engagement and News Editor, regularly review and react to engagement analytics data to ensure Campaign is delivering highly-engaging content for its audience and hits its editorial KPI’s including any engagement metrics..
- Attend and report on key sector conferences and events.
- Monitor email, and other sources such as Twitter and other media, for news, staying alert to subjects that might not make news stories but could make articles for other sections, and pass them on to relevant colleagues.
- Think creatively and take the initiative on news stories.
- Liaise with the art desk/production editor about photos for news articles and source images in the absence of the art/production editors.
- Edit copy to length in consultation with the writer, ensuring relevance, clarity, accuracy, legality, fairness and balance.
- Help contribute to Campaign’s live events portfolio and chair panel debates, or take part in presentations, as and when necessary.
- Report all complaints to the Editor.
- Set a high standard in general behaviour, appearance and professionalism.
- Significant news experience on newspapers or magazines.
- Experience working on a variety of types of story, including breaking off-diary stories gleaned from personal contacts, financial results and general business news.
- Experience of writing high-quality longer-form articles.
- Experience of public speaking and talking to the media.
- Interest in the marketing, advertising and media industries.
- Have an obsession with journalistic quality and accuracy of facts
- Gain satisfaction from holding influential people and businesses to account
- Be a team player, who works well with other journalists
- Knowledge of the marketing, advertising and media industries.
Skills and attributes
- Enthusiasm for, and a good understanding of online news journalism. Proficiency in social media. Excellent people skills. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Good analytical and project management skills. A willingness to act as an ambassador for the brand.
- An excellent understanding of media law.
Why work with us?
People are our greatest asset here at Haymarket Media Group. Haymarket is a media, information and data business, we use our expertise in media and information to inspire, inform and empower our clients, audiences and communities. We are a socially and environmentally responsible business. As we serve our audiences, clients and communities, we are committed to driving the meaningful change necessary to build a better world. The principles of diversity, inclusion, respect, responsibility and sustainability are at the heart of our business.
We’re hard-wired to produce remarkable content for our audiences, with over 16,000 companies around the globe turning to us to help their businesses grow. Join us and you will work on market-leading brands to help create powerful and lasting relationships that deliver real results, all while developing your own career.
Our conveniently located Twickenham HQ is home to around 600 employees with a vast array of careers from journalism, video, marketing, sales and events to technology, digital development and product management.
As well as being the home of English rugby, Twickenham has the benefit of being less than 30 minutes from central London but also enjoying its riverside location, proximity to Richmond Park and a buzzing social scene.
With flexible hours, great brands, and a modern open plan environment, we attract great people. There’s time for you to get involved in our extra-curricular activities too; from volunteering with our charity partners, going for a lunch-time riverside run, cycling around Richmond Park or after work fun!
Our team culture is friendly, vibrant and sociable. We nurture, support and reward our talent. We offer a market-leading benefits programme, tailored to individual needs and preferences. The range of benefits are vast and include a generous pension plan, life assurance, up to 30 days holiday and a fabulous income protection policy. Oh, and our annual employee party is pretty special too!
Our benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive training and career development programme
- 25 days holiday per year excluding bank holidays (increasing 1 day per year of service up to 30 days)
- Flexible working schedule (core hours from 10-3)
- Generous contributory pension scheme
- Access to Perkbox
- Health Cash Plan
- Family friendly policies
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Season ticket loan
- Regular individual and team rewards and incentives for outstanding performance
We want to support our people to balance their personal and professional lives and we believe our range of benefits encourages this. We feel that nothing beats face-time with our colleagues and we’ve therefore adopted a blended working model where full time employees can expect to spend 3 days of their week in the office and the other 2 working at a location of their choice.
We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and are committed to ensuring that all candidates are given the same opportunity to succeed regardless of their gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age or disability.
If you need any reasonable adjustments to enable you to fully participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come and join us and see for yourself how Haymarket is a rewarding and exciting place to work.