The Wall Street Journal is looking for an experienced host and audio producer to conceptualize and launch a new weekly interview podcast series.This role is perfect for a self-starter, newsroom leader who is excited to help develop the voice and identity of a show. A background in podcasting, radio or another comparable medium is a must for this position.
We are a growing audio team that works with many areas of the WSJ newsroom to produce quality, factual, news-driven podcasts on topics that range from business, personal finance and economics to tech and science. We have a solid core listenership, which we're looking to expand and deepen.
Top candidates for this role will have a journalism background with a deep understanding and interest in WSJ's core coverage areas. Strong experience in research, reporting and interviewing, including in live settings are crucial for this role, along with a broad knowledge of current events and news that can be drawn upon to strengthen interviews.
While audio is your core medium, you understand how to reach audiences in other ways, such as through social media, and have thoughts on how to build engaged listener communities. You also have experience using data and audience feedback to help guide podcast development.
You will work closely with a producer, but the ideal candidate will be ready to drive the show from concept to completion every week.
The position is based in our New York City office and reports to the Supervising Producer, Features.
To apply, please submit your résumé, a cover letter clearly outlining how your skills and experience meet or exceed the key candidate requirements and five links to past work that represents the type of work described. Candidates who do not submit cover letters will not be considered.
- Produce and host a weekly interview podcast series, overseeing the production and post-production of the podcast.
- Collaborate with editorial leaders across the newsroom to develop story ideas and episodes.
- In partnership with the producer, book newsmakers and industry leaders, and thoroughly research and prepare for interviews that will make news and change perceptions
- Ensure all content meets the highest production value and all WSJ journalistic and legal standards are followed.
- Collaborate with our social media team on audience development strategies connected to the podcast.
- Manage multiple projects in various stages of development and production.
- Work with the live journalism team to conduct live interviews that extend the brand beyond the podcast.
- At least five years of experience in audio storytelling at a successful podcast or radio program that includes hosting in some form.
- Strong editorial judgment and broad knowledge of current events, U.S. politics, technology and economics, as well as a nose for news.
- Strong editorial skills, including experience in research, fact-checking and sculpting longform interviews.
- Professional-level understanding of Adobe Audition, Pro Tools or other DAWs.
- A strong contact list that you can draw upon with newsmakers and industry executives.
- Leadership skills and the ability to foster a collaborative and inclusive team.
The Journal's reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
NYC Pay Range: $50,000 - $180,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate's experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including "elective" benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce.
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 34965