The Wall Street Journal is seeking an experienced photo editor to join its Features team. This is an opportunity to join a dynamic team of photo editors and work on The Wall Street Journal's Off Duty section.
The ideal candidate for this role has strong journalistic integrity and can produce a range of high-quality photography assignments in the areas of fashion, food, travel and design, in a fast-paced environment. You should also demonstrate broad agency and social media research knowledge, and the skills to work effectively within a large newsroom, with bureaus around the world.
A proven track record of editorial production and visual conceptualization, with an ability to work with a small team, under tight deadlines, is a must. Your work will require great creativity, speed, organization and attention to detail. You will be responsible for conceiving of and creating compelling photographic content across all WSJ platforms, from digital mobile and desktop displays to social promotion, to the weekend print section.
This position will be based in our New York City office and reports to The Deputy Photo Director, Features.
- Produce and build visual assets for Off Duty content for WSJ digital and print platforms and broader global reach.
- Assign photography and run your own shoot production; commissioning original content, including shoots in WSJ's in-house photography studio, as well as on location.
- Recruit and promote a diverse and vibrant group of photographers with an eye to new audiences.
- Perform historical and general photo research as needed.
- Pitch visually innovative and original approaches to features coverage for the Off Duty section, from print covers to digital display, with a focus on the online experience.
- Collaborate with audience and platform teams on social strategy and distribution of WSJ content.
- Maintain a budget on a monthly basis.
- At least 3-5 years experience in a photo editing and production role.
- A background in editorial production work, conceptualization and assigning fashion, still-life and portraiture photography and a clear understanding of the WSJ take on fashion, food, still-life, travel, technology and cultural coverage.
- A wide-ranging network of photographers, stylists, prop houses and modeling agencies.
- Familiarity with web tools, content management systems, photo editing programs, like Photoshop and PhotoMechanic, and video editing tools.
- Excellent news judgment and an expansive understanding of mobile-first experience and design.
- Strong organizational, communication and collaborative abilities.
- The drive to reach new audiences, an understanding of and appreciation for audience data and SEO-friendly presentation.
- A creative vision and enthusiasm to spearhead and collaborate on new ideas.
- A self-starter mindset - and can work independently as well as with a team.
- Deep research skills, including newsgathering and social media tools.
- Ideally, basic coding skills.
The Journal's reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Art/Graphics Group
NYC Pay Range: $50,000 - $180,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate's experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including "elective" benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce.
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 35628