The Wall Street Journal is looking for a senior video journalist to join its YouTube team to produce timely short-form video features, recurring franchises and in-depth explainers.
Please note, this is not an entry-level position, and it is not a position producing documentaries. You should have an extensive professional background in video journalism, exceptional story development and scriptwriting skills, and have professional experience with shooting, editing and motion graphics for video. A deep familiarity with YouTube and social video, along with the ability to juggle and execute on multiple projects under varying deadlines are essential.
Top candidates for this position will have a deep understanding of WSJ's core coverage areas, the ability to juggle many tasks and should be excited about covering everything from daily news events to evergreen topics. The ability to react quickly and hit deadlines is essential to the job, as is the ability to bring challenging topics to life visually.
The position will be based in our New York City offices and reports to the Executive Producer, YouTube.
To apply, please submit your résumé, a cover letter clearly outlining how your skills and experience meet or exceed the key candidate requirements, and links to five videos that represent the type of work described. Feel free to also include links to any relevant YouTube channels you particularly like or regularly watch. Candidates who do not submit cover letters will not be considered.
- Autonomously pitch, develop, research, report and write for a variety of formats, lengths, structures and stories to be produced for the WSJ YouTube channel.
- Act as a lead producer to manage multiple projects in various stages of production, on tight deadlines.
- Shoot and edit videos in-studio and in the field with proficient lighting skills and in partnership with other video journalists and producers.
- Identify and produce timely video news pieces that are visually distinctive and of interest to the YouTube audience.
- Own story direction and angles to develop a variety of formats, including explainers, on-location features and new original series.
- Collaborate with reporters and editors across the WSJ newsroom.
- Ensure that all WSJ journalistic and legal standards are followed.
- Work late hours and weekends both as part of a regular weekend rotation and as news developments may warrant.
- Complete additional duties as assigned, including breaking news assignments.
- At least five years of experience producing digital videos in a daily news environment at a national or global media company.
- An ability to tell stories in creative ways using high-quality video and graphics.
- Prior experience managing every aspect of video production from start to finish, under tight deadlines.
- Deep understanding and interest in The Journal's core coverage areas.
- Strong editorial judgment and broad knowledge of current events, U.S. politics, technology and economics, as well as a nose for news.
- Experience using multiple camera setups, specifically with Sony professional and prosumer equipment.
- A professional-level understanding of the Adobe Creative Suite, with a high level of expertise in Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator.
The Journal's reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
NYC Pay Range: $50,000 - $180,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate's experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including "elective" benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce.
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 34907