Digital News Designer, The Wall Street Journal - NY
- Dow Jones
- New York, NY
- Closing date
- Mar 22, 2023
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Digital, Graphic Design, News
- Designer, Digital Designer
The Wall Street Journal is seeking an experienced designer to join an award-winning team to drive innovative storytelling on some of our most ambitious journalism for digital readers. Story experiences will include creative designs for packages that include visual formats such as photography, illustration, and data visualizations, as well as longform text pieces. You will consider where and how the story will be distributed both on WSJ platforms and external platforms, adjusting the work as needed for various reader needs, for example on Google Amp or Apple News. You will build the designs with an eye toward using as many existing tools as possible, but also create your own modular and repeatable components.
This is a highly collaborative role on a team of news designers, information graphics experts, and news developers. We're looking for someone who is endlessly curious and comfortable at the intersection of journalism, design, and technology. We're looking for applicants who can build what they design, and design what they build. Depending on individual strengths, there will be opportunities for skills development where needed.
You will report to the Digital Design Editor. While you may start this job remotely, you will eventually be based in our New York office.
- Work closely with the Digital Design Editor to prioritize stories that require special visual direction. Stories may range from faster turnaround to longer enterprise work.
- Collaborate with reporters, editors and other visual journalists to generate ideas and build stories for digital audiences across WSJ platforms and external platforms.
- Work quickly and efficiently when deadlines are tight. Some news stories may require working outside of regular office hours.
- Demonstrate excellent news judgment and sound technical approaches.
- Stay abreast, and ahead of, visual trends and techniques that can be applied to the evolving nature of digital storytelling.
- At least three years of experience in an equivalent role, with a good understanding of news media and digital publishing.
- Superior skills in interaction design, layout and typography across digital platforms.
- Familiarity with best practices for building stories for mobile devices.
- Experience with storyboarding, prototyping tools for designing visual stories. (Adobe XD, Sketch etc).
- Excellent knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, ai2html.
- Experience with D3, React a plus.
- At least one or two other specialties preferred, which might include illustration, data visualization, 3D, or cartography.
- A passion for journalism and innovation.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
NYC Pay Range: $40,000 - $160,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate's experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including "elective" benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce.
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 28328
We break stories, influence ideas, and advance business intelligence and cultural interest.
We expose the events that turn markets, the digital breakthroughs that transform art, the demand that drives invention, as well as the political and societal passing moments and lasting consequences.
We are the people of Dow Jones. From different fields, backgrounds and viewpoints we invite you to join us.
Examine the world and bring it to others.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert