The Wall Street Journal is seeking a supervising producer of features and series to join its growing audio team. This editorial role requires excellent journalistic instincts, production and logistical knowhow, and team-management skills.
A track record of editorial leadership, collaboration, decisiveness and clear communication are critical for this position. You should have a proactive and entrepreneurial spirit with a start-up mentality. A passion for innovation and experience managing weekly productions in a global news organization are also a must.
As the supervising producer you will work closely with the executive producer to oversee and coordinate production of the features and series audio team, manage assignments and help produce and edit audio.
Top candidates for this role will have excellent editorial judgment, strong production experience and team-management skills. Though you will be a key manager in this unit, this is a hands-on role. We are seeking an experienced producer with a track record of pitching, developing, field producing and elevating original audio series.
This position will be based in our New York City office and reports to the Executive Producer, Features & Series.
To apply, please submit your résumé, a cover letter clearly outlining how your skills and experience meet or exceed the key candidate requirements and five links to past work that represents the type of work described. Candidates who do not submit cover letters will not be considered.
- Work with the executive producer to manage a small group of audio producers to produce daily, weekly and feature podcasts.
- Develop story ideas, fact-check and edit scripts for multiple stories ranging from politics, business, tech news and more.
- Book reporters and guests for podcasts and prep interviews.
- Propose new and original ideas for timely and relevant programming on a regular basis.
- Coordinate with platforms and vendors, proactively taking all necessary steps to ensure timely and uninterrupted distribution of audio content.
- Partner with the technical operations team to ensure audio equipment, studios and facilities are functioning and up to date.
- Research, write and produce coverage, as necessary
- Provide clear and constructive notes and timely feedback on scripts and cuts, while Inspiring the team to work creatively within tight deadlines.
- Ensure all content meets the highest production value and all WSJ journalistic and legal standards are followed.
- Complete additional duties as assigned, including supporting other WSJ podcast productions in New York and London.
- At least five years of experience in audio storytelling at a successful podcast or radio program and overseeing a small team.
- Professional experience writing, reviewing and elevating scripts and communicating constructive feedback.
- Deep understanding of current business and markets trends, domestic and international news, pop culture, tech and politics.
- Demonstrated experience producing compelling programs under tight deadline constraints.
- Professional-level understanding of Adobe Audition, Pro Tools or other DAWS.
- Full knowledge of and experience with distribution and ad-serving providers.
- Exceptional communications and collaboration skills.
The Journal's reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
NYC Pay Range: $65,000 - $200,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate's experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including "elective" benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce.
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 34967