Graphics Reporter - Print, The Wall Street Journal - NY
- Dow Jones
- New York, NY
- Closing date
- Mar 22, 2023
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Graphic Design
- Designer, Data Journalist, Digital Journalist, Reporter
The Wall Street Journal is looking for an experienced Graphics Reporter to drive creative and informative storytelling primarily for our print newspaper audience, with some digital crossover as needed.
You will work on both fast-turnaround and longer-term news and enterprise projects that span a number of coverage areas, such as markets, finance, business, politics, technology, health, and science.
You will bring your own strong ideas and work with other visual journalists, editors and reporters to create information-rich news graphics in a variety of formats that might include data visualizations, cartography, 3D, and illustration. We're looking for someone who is endlessly curious and collaborative.
While you may start this job remotely, you will eventually be based in our New York office. You will report to the visual editor.
- Identify graphics opportunities for the top stories of the day.
- Report, research, and create graphics that can vary in scope, from a smart bar chart, to a full page layout.
- Work closely with reporters and editors on assignments.
- Think broadly about the opportunities provided by different visual formats, as well as approaches that are appropriate for deadlines.
- Work with digital teams to use the same source material when graphics require unique digital and print treatments.
- Convert your graphics into digital formats using AI2HTML when required.
- Help transform an idea that was originally digital in a print experience.
- Help reporters and editors learn new skills that will contribute to their visual storytelling.
- Work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines.
- This role will be aligned with print deadlines and may require weekend and evening shifts.
- Prior experience in a newsroom, and a good understanding ofbusiness news.
- Excellent visual journalism skills, including demonstrable design knowledge in areas such as layout, typography, and color.
- Fluency with Adobe tools.
- Experience with AI2HTML.
- At least one or two specialties that might include design, 3D, or data visualization.
- Ideally, strong cartography skills.
- An interest in data journalism and associated tools, such as Excel, SQL, R and Python.
- A creative vision and willingness to share and collaborate on new ideas.
- The initiative to take on and learn new tasks or skills.
To apply, please submit a resume, a cover letter and portfolio of work.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Art/Graphics Group
NYC Pay Range: $40,000 - $160,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate's experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including "elective" benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce.
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 32010
We break stories, influence ideas, and advance business intelligence and cultural interest.
We expose the events that turn markets, the digital breakthroughs that transform art, the demand that drives invention, as well as the political and societal passing moments and lasting consequences.
We are the people of Dow Jones. From different fields, backgrounds and viewpoints we invite you to join us.
Examine the world and bring it to others.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert