Graphics Reporter / Digital Cartographer, The Wall Street Journal - NY
- Dow Jones
- New York, NY
- Closing date
- Mar 22, 2023
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Nationals, Digital, Graphic Design
- Data Journalist, Digital Designer, Digital Production Editor, Reporter
The Wall Street Journal is looking for an experienced Graphics Reporter/Cartographer to drive innovative storytelling for digital audiences, focused on projects and stories that require geographic analysis and visualization.
You will create a wide array of online maps for both fast-turnaround and longer-term news projects that cross a number of coverage areas, such as business, technology, finance, health & science, and investigations. You will work on a range of topics aligned with your geographic analysis, cartography and map design skills. You will identify data sources for use in creating visual stories through cartography and data visualization. You will bring your own ideas and work with other visual journalists, editors and reporters to create information-rich maps and other news graphics. We're looking for someone who is endlessly curious and comfortable in a role at the intersection of journalism, cartography, design, and technology.
While you may start this job remotely, you will eventually be based in our New York office. You will report to one of our visual editors.
- Identify and pitch opportunities for map-based visualizations on news topics that are editorial priorities or timely off-the-news stories.
- Provide cartography knowledge and expertise on visual stories created throughout the department.
- Report, research, and create visual stories that might be original pitches, assigned by an editor, or collaborations with other reporters.
- Create smart approaches for visual stories across WSJ platforms and external platforms.
- Help review and provide feedback on other visual stories that are created in the department.
- Help reporters and editors learn new skills that will contribute to their visual storytelling.
- Work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines.
- Expert ability with GIS software and tools including ArcGIS and/or QGIS.
- Strong ability to identify, apply and analyze geographic information from a variety of sources
- Skilled in the use of mapping APIs and up to date with digital and web-based mapping software and trends.
- Strong ability in data analysis and associated tools such as Excel, Access, SQL, R and Python.
- Prior experience in a newsroom, or equivalent experience.
- Excellent visual skills, including demonstrable design knowledge, such as layout, typography, color, and interaction design.
- Fluency with Adobe tools.
- Good knowledge of responsive design, the technical nuances of the digital landscape, and best practices for building stories for mobile devices.
- Flexibility to work weekends or evenings as required by news needs
- A creative vision and willingness to share and collaborate on new ideas.
- The initiative to take on and learn new tasks.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Art/Graphics Group
NYC Pay Range: $40,000 - $160,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate's experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including "elective" benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce.
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 29577
We break stories, influence ideas, and advance business intelligence and cultural interest.
We expose the events that turn markets, the digital breakthroughs that transform art, the demand that drives invention, as well as the political and societal passing moments and lasting consequences.
We are the people of Dow Jones. From different fields, backgrounds and viewpoints we invite you to join us.
Examine the world and bring it to others.
- Dow Jones
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert