The Wall Street Journal is looking for a skilled motion graphics editor to join its global video team. This role sits at the intersection of editorial and animation in service of our journalistic mission, requiring a deep understanding of hands-on motion graphics and animation production.
We're looking for someone who can add depth and context to a story while bringing challenging topics to life visually. Ideal candidates for this role are capable of creating informative and engaging motion graphics, and can produce animation-led news and feature stories. Exceptional technical skills in Adobe After Effects, creating and working with motion graphics templates, creativity and experience working under tight deadlines are essential for this role. You will be expected to successfully execute and oversee timely news projects under tight time constraints, as well as other projects with longer lead times.
The position will be based in our New York City office and reports to the Motion Graphics Director.
To apply, please submit your résumé, a cover letter clearly outlining how your skills and experience meet or exceed the key candidate requirements, portfolio and links to five videos that represent the type of work described. Candidates who do not submit cover letters will not be considered.
- Tell news, feature and enterprise stories in creative ways using video, motion graphics and animation.
- Translate complex business and finance stories into smart, informative video packages.
- Animate text on screen, maps and data visualizations.
- Produce high-quality motion graphics for videos on deadline, including for same-day pieces.
- Partner with reporters and editors across the newsroom to identify and produce motion graphics for timely video news pieces that are visually distinctive and of interest to the WSJ audience.
- Manage multiple projects in various stages of production.
- Reliably work independently and be a strong decision maker in an effort to keep projects moving forward.
- Ensure that all WSJ journalistic and legal standards are followed.
- Be expected to work late hours and weekends both as part of a regular weekend rotation and as news developments may warrant.
- Three-to-five years of experience producing videos in a daily news environment, preferably at a large news organization.
- Knowledge of current events, U.S. politics, economics, and a nose for news.
- A deep understanding of, and interest in, The Wall Street Journal's core coverage areas.
- A professional-level understanding of Adobe Suite, with advanced skills in Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Strong video editing skills.
- Exceptional hand-drawn and/or computer-assisted illustration skills.
- Clear communication skills with exceptional written and collaboration skills.
The Journal's reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
To enter one of our US based offices: Any offer of employment is contingent on providing proof of Covid-19 vaccination prior to your start date, subject to approved medical and/or religious exemptions, in accordance with applicable law.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
NYC Pay Range: $40,000 - $160,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate's experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including "elective" benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce.
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 35800