The Epoch Times is hiring experienced journalists from across the UK.
The Epoch Times has become a household name in America in the last few years, where it has grown rapidly online and as a printed broadsheet newspaper. We are now in the process of expanding that success—rooted in old-school journalism, and our guiding principles of 'Truth and Tradition’—to a British readership.
You will be responsible for pitching, breaking and covering British news stories for our already substantial international readership and our growing local UK readership.
- Finding, pitching and writing stories of national relevance for a British readership and when appropriate for an international readership.
- Developing and maintaining a pipeline of mid-range and long-length articles.
- Covering breaking news and writing other stories, as assigned
- Potentially developing beats as directed
- Travelling to attend events, carrying out on-the-ground reporting and interviews as needed.
Successful candidates will have:
- Substantial professional experience as a full-time press reporter in print or online.
- A proven record of being able to produce well-written, accurate stories to deadline.
- A proven record of tracking down original stories and finding fresh angles.
- An NCTJ qualification or equivalent, or be able to prove substantial experience as a senior reporter.
- A solid grasp of news and current affairs in the UK.
- Genuine commitment to the Epoch Times guiding principles of Truth and Tradition and its core values.
The role is currently remote working from any location within the UK.
Although the role is currently primarily desk reporting, reporters should be able to travel on occasion to cover stories and events if required, potentially more often if assigned to certain beats.
Please include the following in your application:
- A copy of your CV
- A cover letter explaining why you want to work for the Epoch Times
- Names of two people willing to give references
- Three samples from your portfolio
Please email the above to: email@example.com
We welcome informal inquiries from those particularly experienced and talented reporters who wish to understand more about this UK role, or about the Epoch Times, before submitting a formal application.
Competitive rates, depending on experience, in line with national newspapers
The Epoch Times is an international media company covering 21 languages and 33 countries, with a flagship U.S. edition in print and online in English—the fastest-growing independent media outlet in America.
The Epoch Times takes the principles of Truth and Tradition as its guidance.
We highlight in our reporting the best of humanity, the valuable lessons of history, and traditions that are beneficial for society.
We are free from the influence of any government, corporation, or political party—this is what makes us different from other media organisations.
The Epoch Times was founded in the United States in the year 2000 in response to communist repression and censorship in China. Our founders, Chinese-Americans who themselves had fled communism, sought to create an independent media to bring the world uncensored and truthful information.
The Epoch Times has received numerous awards for our reporting and design, including from the New York Press Association, the Society of Professional Journalists, and the Society for News Design.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.