Director of photography
The Economist and 1843 magazine · Central London · Full time, hybrid working
The Economist and 1843 magazine are looking for an experienced director of photography based in our London office who will expand our output of outstanding photojournalism. A big part of the role will be commissioning for 1843 magazine, The Economist’s online publication of features and narrative journalism, which has a record of publishing award-winning photographs. You will also help The Economist’s designers and picture desk commission original photography for covers, essays, special reports and the annual Christmas double issue, as well as raising the standard of photography across the newspaper in print and online.
The successful candidate will have outstanding visual and journalistic judgement, and contacts around the globe. They will be capable of conducting picture research and commissioning reportage photography when news breaks, as well as working in a wide range of genres to accompany long features that are months in the making. They will have a palpable enthusiasm for photography and current affairs. Both The Economist picture desk and 1843 magazine are small teams, so the director of photography will be open to working collaboratively with The Economist’s creative director and 1843 magazine’s art director, as well as enterprising and confident enough to use their own initiative.
- 10+ years experience
- Significant digital experience, including awareness of the distinctive requirements for online display and social media, including video
- Experience of commissioning for print
- A passion for photography in all its forms
- Extensive history commissioning intelligent and striking photography for both news and features
- Contact book of photographers around the globe, and strong relationships with agents and new agencies
- Picture-research skills, to source and edit powerful images quickly
- Experience and interest in nurturing young talent
- Excellent interpersonal skills, to persuade, reassure and enthuse
- Strong interest in current affairs
- The creativity to offer visual alternatives for stories
- Organisational skills to juggle work with two teams, stick to deadlines and keep track of captions and credits
- Experience in managing budgets, and negotiating fees and licences
- Ability to write clear and helpful briefs
- Management experience
- Experience of dealing with photographers working in conflict zones
Please submit a cover letter, CV and a portfolio of 5-10 recent commissions by December 4th. We will look at the portfolios anonymously, so please make sure that there is no identifying information on them.
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We
welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.