The Wall Street Journal is seeking an experienced designer to join an award-winning team to drive innovative storytelling on some of our most ambitious journalism for digital readers. Story experiences will include creative designs for packages that include visual formats such as photography, illustration, and data visualizations, as well as longform text pieces. You will consider where and how the story will be distributed both on WSJ platforms and external platforms, adjusting the work as needed for various reader needs, for example on Google Amp or Apple News. You will build the designs with an eye toward using as many existing tools as possible, but also create your own modular and repeatable components.
This is a highly collaborative role on a team of news designers, information graphics experts, and news developers. We're looking for someone who is endlessly curious and comfortable at the intersection of journalism, design, and technology. We're looking for applicants who can build what they design, and design what they build. Depending on individual strengths, there will be opportunities for skills development where needed.
You will report to the Digital Design Editor. While you may start this job remotely, you will eventually be based in our New York office.
- Work closely with the Digital Design Editor to prioritize stories that require special visual direction. Stories may range from faster turnaround to longer enterprise work.
- Collaborate with reporters, editors and other visual journalists to generate ideas and build stories for digital audiences across WSJ platforms and external platforms.
- Work quickly and efficiently when deadlines are tight. Some news stories may require working outside of regular office hours.
- Demonstrate excellent news judgment and sound technical approaches.
- Stay abreast, and ahead of, visual trends and techniques that can be applied to the evolving nature of digital storytelling.
- At least three years of experience in an equivalent role, with a good understanding of news media and digital publishing.
- Superior skills in interaction design, layout and typography across digital platforms.
- Familiarity with best practices for building stories for mobile devices.
- Experience with storyboarding, prototyping tools for designing visual stories. (Adobe XD, Sketch etc).
- Excellent knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, ai2html.
- Experience with D3, React a plus.
- At least one or two other specialties preferred, which might include illustration, data visualization, 3D, or cartography.
- A passion for journalism and innovation.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
To enter one of our US based offices: Any offer of employment is contingent on providing proof of Covid-19 vaccination prior to your start date, subject to approved medical and/or religious exemptions, in accordance with applicable law.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
Req ID: 28328