The Wall Street Journal is looking for digital journalists with excellent news judgment for our fast-paced news-editing team in New York. We're seeking editors who are invigorated by the demands of a 24-hour-news cycle and passionate about providing top-quality stories and visuals to readers.
You'll be a member of the Publishing Desk, which is at the center of the newsroom and works with global reporting and visuals bureaus to edit, polish and code copy on deadline across our various platforms. Our journalists know the importance of audience engagement and SEO in every edit. We value collaboration, creativity and an appreciation of innovative storytelling techniques.
As part of the team, you'll edit breaking and daily news stories as well as features, columns and graphics across core subject areas, including politics, business, markets and technology. You'll also contribute to efforts to prepare high-level obituaries, working closely with reporters as well as platforms editors.
This role requires schedule flexibility with daytime or evening hours, including weekends. You will report to the Editing Chief and will be based in our New York office.
- Quickly and sharply edit for grammar, style, sense, jargon, accuracy, clarity, diversity and fairness.
- Understand WSJ's audiences and their needs to best connect our content.
- Uphold Dow Jones standards and ethics in your own work and that of others.
- Meet deadlines, problem solve and be flexible in changing/handing off tasks.
- 3+ years of experience as a news editor.
- Strong design and visual judgment to enhance digital storytelling packages, including editing different types of media, such as headlines, graphics, social-media language and photo captions.
- Aptitude for learning new software and newsroom publishing
- tools as well as developing proficiency with metadata and in-house storytelling devices.
To apply, please submit your resume, a cover letter explaining how you would approach the job and up to 5 work samples.
The Journal's reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
To enter one of our US based offices: Any offer of employment is contingent on providing proof of Covid-19 vaccination prior to your start date, subject to approved medical and/or religious exemptions, in accordance with applicable law.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
Req ID: 35103